Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By loringj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough
Default Scandi Line for Loop Opti Switch

I recently picked up a Loop Opti Switch 6/7 Weight Rod. I've been looking at a Loop rod for awhile now and found it on sale at Red Truck and just couldn't say no ( I have no self control haha). I want to rig it up with a Scandi line, but I am not too familiar with the grain weights and what I will need.
I like the Airflo Compact Scandi and if I go by the chart, it says a 390g would be what I need. But then one of the few articles I have found on any of the forums, someone was using a 250g scandi for the same rod.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for this?
Right now the reel I put on it has a 8 weight Ambush line on it and it seems to be fine for now.

Thanks
Justin
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scandi Line for Loop Opti Switch

I use a 420g Airflo Scandi on my 12 ft 6 in 6/7 wt. Winston BIIx. Either the 390 or 420 would work fine on the rod. I use a 120 in cutthroat floating furled leader with a 7ft mono tippet. Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

250 sounds way to light; 400'ish as mentioned above sounds more like it. Give Steve Godshall (541 840 2594) a call. He's here in So. Oregon and builds custom cut 2hander lines (done hundreds of them). He will know the rod inside out, and you, what you fish for, conditions, casting style, etc.

Almost all of my 2handers have his lines on them now. And I can tell the difference.

fae
wannafish likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
250 sounds way to light; 400'ish as mentioned above sounds more like it. Give Steve Godshall (541 840 2594) a call. He's here in So. Oregon and builds custom cut 2hander lines (done hundreds of them). He will know the rod inside out, and you, what you fish for, conditions, casting style, etc.

Almost all of my 2handers have his lines on them now. And I can tell the difference.

fae
I called Steve this am; very impressed! Line for my Z-axis switch is already on it's way (excellent price btw). Here is his email back to me:

"Your scandi head is engineered and I am now building it. You might like to
know that the 6110-4 Sage measures a 5.4 on my Spey Power scale and a 7.1 on
my single hand overhead line scale. Your scandi head engineered out at 27.8
ft and 338 grains and I used my sgs UK alpha taper profile, enjoy the Spey
Journey, steev"
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough

I called Steve yesterday and spoke with him. Very nice gentleman. He was not familiar with the Loop Opti Switch but is doing some research to figure it out. I am looking forward to getting a line from him.
wannafish likes this.