The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tippett rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishcatcher View Post
Never heard of these, but they look like a good idea. Do they act like a spilt shot?
No. The weight is very minimal.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned The only time I have used them is when they have been on some of The Furled leaders I have I also find them great for The Finer Tipits.
Brian.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

I primarily fish dry and i swear by tippet rings. My Formula is simple......I buy a 9 foot, 3x Mono tapered leader from RIO......right out of the packet I add a tippet ring to the tippet section. thereafter I generall attach 4x, 5x mono and finally 6x fluoro all via triple surgeons knots. I do NOT use multiple tippet rings just one at tip of my 9 foot leader this allows me to keep this original leader all season long and never get shortended.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I just ordered some.
Randy
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll bite
What's the point of using tippet rings ?
I could see why they might be useful on a thread furled leader... to keep the loop from wearing out.
But why use them otherwise ? It can't be that it's better than a loop2loop connection.
And it can't be for the benefit of "knot tying impaired" 'cuz you still need to tie knots.
So what's the attraction?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Okay, I'll bite
What's the point of using tippet rings ?
I could see why they might be useful on a thread furled leader... to keep the loop from wearing out.
But why use them otherwise ? It can't be that it's better than a loop2loop connection.
And it can't be for the benefit of "knot tying impaired" 'cuz you still need to tie knots.
So what's the attraction?
THE attraction is saving $$$ on leaders...like the person above said...tie one on the end of your leader and it can be used all season...I haven't used a loop to loop connection for leader to tippet since I fished in here:

Click the image to open in full size.

...with these:

Click the image to open in full size.

...on a #20 treble hook...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
THE attraction is saving $$$ on leaders...like the person above said...tie one on the end of your leader and it can be used all season...I haven't used a loop to loop connection for leader to tippet since I fished in here:
/
I don't see your point.
I used hand tied leader with a loop2loop leader/tippet connection for well over 20 years, so the use of tippet rings makes no sense to me.
How do you save $$$ by buying something that you don't need ?
I repeat... What practical purpose do they serve ?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't see your point.
I used hand tied leader with a loop2loop leader/tippet connection for well over 20 years, so the use of tippet rings makes no sense to me.
How do you save $$$ by buying something that you don't need ?
I repeat... What practical purpose do they serve ?
Many people DO NOT use knotted or furled leaders and there are those who do not use a loop to loop connection for attaching tippet. The use of a tippet rings precludes having to snip off a section of the leader each time tippet needs to be added - hence, adding to the usefulness of the same leader and extending the period that it may be employed...

If someone prefers knotted leaders and loop to loop connections, then a tippet ring makes no sense. The last time I used a knotted leader was in 1975 when I purchased a few at Dan Bailey's Shop in Livingston...they were not my cup of tea for the nymphing and streamer fishing I do here in the Sierras with sink tip and full sink lines. From time to time, I will use a furled leader for fishing dries... and those have tippet rings on them,

PT/TB
fredaevans likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Riptide....I used to tie small perfection loops into the end of my tapered leader....and the end of my tippet as you describe. So your point as to being able to save your leader that way is valid also....However I just found for me personally....and for expediency on the stream....i prefer just tying directly onto a ring. I also believe a micro ring has a smoother transition and is more seemless than my old loop to loop connection -you can bareley see the rings. In terms of cost I just bought 20 rings for $8.95 from J Stockard so compared to all my other fly fishing expenses I can live with that. 20 should be a lifetime supply my problem is when i ever i drop one I can never find it again LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I would never try and argue that this method is better, For me its very fast and convenient (this works for me). I'm not successful enough of a caster to notice much of a difference, so when I'm fly fishing the convenience offered here with the ringed leaders out weighs what might be the solution that many argue offers the better overall performance.

The rings in question are light enough that there not going to sink your line. Id argue that they may also per long the life of the leader, but that is not why I fish them.

For me they make switching tippets a much faster process. Making me more likely to experiment. Every method will have both advantages, and drawbacks. In this hobby we all find different methods that work best for what we like to do.

I'm sure I do not have a scale light enough to weight the difference between methods, but this would be a interesting post for someone who does.

Last edited by charged; 05-06-2013 at 07:50 PM.