The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

jjames is on a distinguished road
Default Tippett rings

Anyone have experience with Tippett rings? I am considering the experiment and wondering on how fine a line I can use them effectively. For example, could I tie a ring on the end of a 4x Leader and throw on a couple of feet of 5x for a Tippett? Could I do the same between 5x and 6x?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: Tippett rings

I think you will be fine going from 4x to 5x without issue. You may find the casting / presentation to be down-graded when you start to deal with lighter tippets. We make some nymphing leaders with multiple rings, but those leaders are not designed for casting / presenation but more high sticking. Hope that helps.

We carry the rings as well if you need any.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM

jjames is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Checking you guys out right now.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I tried the tippet ring when I started fly fishing (about 3 months ago) trying to save on my leaders. But then I quit using it and starting to use the perfection loop on the leader to make a loop to loop connection to the tippet or to my homemade furled leaders.
With my very limited fly fishing and casting experience, I found out that ring impeded the fly turn over. But that could be just me. I stopped using them and they are now collecting dust.

Last edited by runningfish; 04-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've been using them for awhile and will continue to use them. They are already on cutthroat leaders so I don't have to put one on them. I ordered it with it on there.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have Joni put them on my furled leaders. I think they are great.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM

45srbest is on a distinguished road

I agree with fly guy, Joni put them on my 4 and 5 wt leaders and they work great.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjames View Post
Anyone have experience with Tippett rings? I am considering the experiment and wondering on how fine a line I can use them effectively. For example, could I tie a ring on the end of a 4x Leader and throw on a couple of feet of 5x for a Tippett? Could I do the same between 5x and 6x?
Yes !...I have been using these...

Click the image to open in full size.

...since they came packaged this way...

..and I use these for my tippet material...

The top two are Mono and the bottom is from the guys who invented Fluoro. I use the rings with 7x leaders and up to 9x tippet material - if needed. I use the rings with Streamers, Buggers, nymphs, wets (try using more than one ring for droppers) and dries. ALL connections are with a Uni Knot...

I no longer burn through leaders when I need to add tippet and save some $$$'s in the process...They work just fine

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I've been using them on the furled leaders I've been using, and love them. I'm not sure of the size rings I'm using with my leaders, but have never had any problems tying on any of the tippets I've chose to use..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Never heard of these, but they look like a good idea. Do they act like a spilt shot?