The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Textured or not?

The long rear taper maintains loop stability on longer casts and ameliorates hinging while mending associated with short rear tapers quickly reducing the mass/diameter of the line. This effects presentation in regard to more accurate longer casts and feeding or mending line to enhance a dead drift of your fly. However, it is the FRONT tapers gig to control your leader and alight a fly with precision and delicacy. Naturally, this is the anglers job; the line is simply an important tool.

SA offers long rear taper lines in SS Trout, Textured Trout(Stalker), Mastery Expert Distance Taper, Cortland has their slick Trout BOSS, RIO has Gold and British Airflo has recently introduced a couple of new lines in this configuration built on their low-stretch core material. Any one of these lines could be the ideal match for a given rod and anglers' application...TRYING them all would be quite a challenge though.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I've been using the SA Clouser in 8wt that is texture so this might not all apply to a fresh water trout 5wt use.

Having said that I love the way it shoots. It seems to shoot better than my other 8wt SW tapers. It is a bit noisier but in a comforting way, for me the light whirrrr is useful in timing backcast just before first light. My sons says it sounds "cool", so this is probably a 'non-factor'.

Huge downside if you are unprepared is the wear on your index finger when working/stripping lures. We put a lot of movement in our streamers and poppers. Often the reds & spcs want really active baits. My first morning I rubbed two places on my index finger then one onmy middle finger bare (trying to stay in the game fishing but shifting the pain/wear). Man it hurt with the saltwater adding to the pain index.

After that I bring a few waterprook bandages which I apply stratigically to my index finger, so this problem disappears. Kind of like the football players taping up for the big game.

The rougher surface does seem to collect dirt a bit quicker but this cleans off easy.

Pete A.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The long rear taper maintains loop stability on longer casts and ameliorates hinging while mending associated with short rear tapers quickly reducing the mass/diameter of the line. This effects presentation in regard to more accurate longer casts and feeding or mending line to enhance a dead drift of your fly. However, it is the FRONT tapers gig to control your leader and alight a fly with precision and delicacy. Naturally, this is the anglers job; the line is simply an important tool.

SA offers long rear taper lines in SS Trout, Textured Trout(Stalker), Mastery Expert Distance Taper, Cortland has their slick Trout BOSS, RIO has Gold and British Airflo has recently introduced a couple of new lines in this configuration built on their low-stretch core material. Any one of these lines could be the ideal match for a given rod and anglers' application...TRYING them all would be quite a challenge though.
I'm just catching this response. Thanks for the info!! I bought three new rods and 3 different lines.

I bought:
1. a 7' 4wt from Orvis with the Helios 4wt 3D textured line on it. Seems to shoot well and doesn't make that much noise. I haven't fished with it enough to make a real judgment yet. Actually, my 9 year old son has used it more than I. I'll comment on the line once he LETS me use it!
2. an 8.5' 4wt that I haven't received yet with the SA Mastery textured Trout Stalker fly line.
3. a 9' 5wt that I haven't received yet either with the SA Mastery textured GPX fly line.