The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Repair or discard?

Okay, here's the deal:

Last weekend, I somehow cut my nearly three year-old Rio Grand line about 4.3 feet from the tip down to the core. The core appears to be intact, and the rest of the line is in decent shape.

My original thought was to simply cut the tip off at that point, glue the end and tie on a new loop. OR, simply glue the cut closed and continue to fish it as is.

However, a buddy of mine insists that the line's castability/floatability is compromised and that I should just get a new line.

I don't have a problem shelling out for new line, but I don't want to just throw the line away if it's salvageable.

In case it matters: The line weight is 6.5. I fish it typically on my St. Croix Imperial 9 ft. 5 wt. throwing mostly medium-to-large buggers/streamers/bunny leeches as well as large bushy dries, up to and including mice. Average cast length approximately 50 feet.

So, what say you, old wise ones? Does she stay, or does she go?

Thanks.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 04-22-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: math
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repair or discard?

First, look and see how far you go before you start to hit front taper. If you are still in the level tip, just cut it and you are good to go. Many lines have more than a few feet of level tip.

I have not really experimented much in repairing them so hopefully if you are up in the taper, there is someone here that knows a way to fix it. If not, sounds like new line time.

If you do experiment with fixing it, make sure the core is dry before you do it. Maybe something like the plastic coat for electrical or tool handles.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I believe Grand has 7 ft. of front taper.

And to be honest, I bet I can 'make do' with this line if I cut it. It's not like I'm casting for extreme precision 90% of the time. But I figured I could learn something from you guys while I debated the pros and cons of spending more money.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"However, a buddy of mine insists that the line's castability/floatability is compromised and that I should just get a new line."

Just my .02 cents, but the answer is 'yes.' Regardless of the line core, if crunched, they will take in water. For your fishing this may make little, or no difference. In many situations it makes a hell of a difference. Minor tip damage you could re-seal and it will work for some period of time before it blows off, and then you're back to square one.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just call me cheap........................but, I would put a dab of aqua seal on the slice and fish away. I would do this until I actually noticed a real problem not an imagined one with the line. My ulterior motive for doing this would be to drive my buddy up the wall while I continued to catch fish with line that definitely will not cast or float.

In closing Rich, you say you fish wet flies and streamers with it. I would not replace the line, I would probably dye the tip for about ten feet to a nice camo tone and fish away.

Ard
fysh likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
. . .My ulterior motive for doing this would be to drive my buddy up the wall while I continued to catch fish with line that definitely will not cast or float.

In closing Rich, you say you fish wet flies and streamers with it. I would not replace the line, I would probably dye the tip for about ten feet to a nice camo tone and fish away.

Ard
Good points. Cut and paste it is. Thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i think you could get away with just cutting it.

ARFE
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I wouldn't cut, I would paste with that dab of auua seal and move on. As you may have figured out over the past few years I'm not much at splitting hairs. There are enough real problems to deal with on some fishing trips that unless I sever the line in the middle of the body I won't be bothered with a slight repair. Now if I were fishing # 18 dries on still water and the line was sinking and dragging my fly unedr......... that's another story.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;