The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

I intend on casting a few different lines on my 9'6" XP 5wt tomorrow. I've been reading about the Rio Gold, Grande and SA GPX.

If the Grande is rated 1.5x heavier than standard, how would it be different than simply lining up one weight? I realize that the Grande has shorter heavier front taper, so aside from that I mean a 5WT Grande is really a 6.5 right?

I think this is goofy marketing. Isn't it just a way to convince users to over line their tip-flex rods to make casting a little easier?

If you like the aggressive taper of the Grande but want an actual 5WT line on your 5WT rod, then you'd have to use a 4WT, which would actually be a 5.5WT. Which is actually in line with the SA GPX, that is a half size heavier and makes more sense to me. O yeah, and how's on second?!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: How is Rio Grande different than just over lining?

If I'm not mistaken, a 5wt Rio Grande would actually weigh out at 5.5wt rather than 6.5. While it is certainly an instance of uplining the rod, it is not as drastic as buying a full line size heavier? Or so I thought Otherwise, I'd be equally confused!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

The last version of Rio Grande was a 1/2 line wt heavier to help load fast action rods. The newest version, though, is a full line wt heavier. So a 5wt Rio Grande line is more like a 6wt line.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
The last version of Rio Grande was a 1/2 line wt heavier to help load fast action rods. The newest version, though, is a full line wt heavier. So a 5wt Rio Grande line is more like a 6wt line.
Right, one size heavier not 1.5.

But my question remains, how is it different than simply over lining, though I assume I already know the answer...it isn't!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Grand is closer to 3/4 heavier and GPX is 1/2 heavy. That is the way my shop tell,s me. I use the grand as a bass bug line on a sage XP in a 691 and a 790 XP
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Grand is closer to 3/4 heavier and GPX is 1/2 heavy. That is the way my shop tell,s me. I use the grand as a bass bug line on a sage XP in a 691 and a 790 XP
Your shop is pretty close, but here is what the RIO website says about the Grand line, verbatim.

"The RIO Grand is a full line size heavier than the industry standard, and features more weight distributed towards the front of the line to easily load faster action fly rods."

From: http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...out/rio-grand/

Basically you are over-lining a rod when you buy a newGrand line matching the rod's weight.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the confusion, Rio Gold is over-weighted by almost a half line weight.

The 30 foot line weight for a WF5F Gold is 146 grains. 30 foot standard for a 5 weight line is 140 grains. 30 foot standard for a 6 weight line is 160 grains.

Dennis
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM

I did not know that, Rio does not make note of that on it's site.

So the way to get an honest 5 wt from Rio is to buy a 4 wt Grande!

Last edited by dean_mt; 04-26-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more example of what I keep saying about standards scmandards..
oarfish and osok like this.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Probably for people that don't really know they can upline a rod. I think they should all just me measured in grains personally. Then the rod makers (some already do this) can mark on the rods the range that works well for that specific rod.