The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure if anybody has tried this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by woz1844 View Post
Don't really have a "spot" just been going off recommendations. Pelham bay, and the flatbrook. Been there so far and looking for more. Any suggestions would be great.
What county do you live in?

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

You have a lot of options in the Sussex county area, your not too far from Ken Lockwood Gorge, the Delaware river and plenty of lakes up that way but first you have to decide what your fishing for because you won't be happy fishing for trout with a 7/8wt rod.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

In fishing, "one size does not fit all." That's just the way it works. Fish size/fishing situation dictates what's 'appropriate.' Open to ongoing thought, but if I had (forced, may be a better term) to choose just two for your list of fish ... a 3wt and a 7wt.

Fred
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

What a horrible thing it would be if we were only allowed two I am by no means rich, but that next rod keeps finding is way into my living room. maybe a 3 and 7 for trout... But we cant be fishing for bass and such with our precious trout rod.. Welcome to your new obsession! A 5wt or even 6 is probably a fun place to start. IMO anyway
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

I know nothing about bass fishing (except that I've caught a few at the lake by my brother's house), but I think there might be a rod type to get you by--might have a problem with stream size in the East, but maybe not a big problem.

I have a pretty fast action 6 wt, that according to the true weight ERN (or whatever its called) rating fishes more like a 7. I fish it for trout on bigger rivers in the west, but have also done so successfully on smaller streams. I imagine that weight would also work for most bass. In saltwater, I wouldn't use it on big stripers, but could for other smaller saltwater fish like flounder and most bonefish (though not ideal on a really windy day, or for the big ones around Islamorada). Obviously too light for tarpon, permit, etc.

If you want just one rod, get a stiff 6 wt. Some, like Sage, will be more like a true 8--less good for trout, but better for salt (and, bass?). (This is only in their stiff, fast action, lines...a more medium action like a ZXL tends to be more accurately labeled.)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Having fished in your vicinity much of my life I can say that I have successfully used an 8 wt with a floating line and different leaders for quite a variety of situations from trout to Bass to Bluegills and Carp as well as Shad , Stripers , bluefish and flounder and it handled all these fish and the varied waters they live in.
Is this the way I fish on a regular basis? No. I use everything from a 4 wt up to a 12 wt . And I use different reels and lines as well. But a 7/8 will handle many situations in your area and it can be a productive setup. It's really up to you and what your looking to get out of your fishing time!
A 12inch trout or an 8 inch Bluegill are much more fun on a 5wt as opposed to a heavier rod . Like I said all depends on what you want from the experience!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser