The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM

woz1844 is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure if anybody has tried this??

Hey everybody Im wanna try to make a universal setup. Bass, trout, fresh and salt water. And any other thing in between. My rod/reel is 7/8 weight. Anybody have a line setup in mind? Remember I want to fish everything off one setup. Backing? Line? Leader? Please help want to try to get out this Saturday.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Not sure if anybody has tried this??

I see you looking... Any help would be Much appreciated!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll bite. Trying to have one setup for trout, bass and salt is a tough task. Sure I have an 8 wt rod that I use when targeting those big Missouri trout in the spring, but under normal trout situations I use a 5 wt, if I'm hitting the small mtn streams than maybe a 3 or 4 wt would be more appropriate. Sure an 8 wt will work, but the rod will hardly bend unless I hook into a 20" plus fish. If I'm hooking into a 12-14" fish it won't be much fun as the rod will hardly know there is anything on the end of the line. A 7/8wt rod will work fine for most bass situations and should be fine for most salt fishing unless you are targeting really big fish, but if you are going after redfish or anything in that size range you will be fine. Get yourself a WF floating line, I like the SA Textured series, but RIO also makes some fine lines. Its like asking someone about cars, are you a Chevy guy, Ford guy, Dodge guy.......you see where I'm going. In the end, you can use one rod for just about any fishing, but soon you realize that isn't the best instrument for the task at hand and start expanding your rod arsenal. For me I think I have 12-14 rods in the quiver at the moment.......do I need all those rods, he** no, but it sure is fun having the right rod for the task at hand.

Larry

Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Might get more bites if let us know where you fish. A 7/8 wt would be great for bass, but might not be ideal for 18, 20, and 22 dries I frequently throw on the streams I fish, could be doable but I've never tried it personally. Chucking nymph rigs under and indicator or fishing streamers for trout it could work fine. I don't know salt so can't help you there. More info could get some more answers.

If I was getting a line for bass and trout I'd get a Weight Forward fly line and a furled leader with tippet spools. For bass I usually use straight mono since the flies turn over fine on their own and bass don't tend to be leader shy.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Fishing in nj. I just got started so I have very limited knowledge of equipment and locations. Just find my way as I go. But this at least gives me a direction. Can you put lighter line on a 7/8 reel?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Most people who enter this hobby have the same goal. I don't think its realistic. If you get hooked into the hobby, you will most likely seek out additional nitch gear. The 7wt you purchased will give you an opportunity at much of what you desire. Match it up with 20-30 lb backing and a 7wt line. Your then in business!

It sounds like you may be a fisherman coming over from another method, for an experiment in fly fishing. If so, what do you currently fish for the most, that you would like to peruse with the new fly rod?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woz1844 View Post
Fishing in nj. I just got started so I have very limited knowledge of equipment and locations. Just find my way as I go. But this at least gives me a direction. Can you put lighter line on a 7/8 reel?
You can. A lighter line will take up less room on the reel so will require more backing. Backing is a cheap part of all this. The issue you are going to run into is that the lighter line might not load your rod well if it is a 7/8 weight rod. If you have a friend who has a reel with a 6wt or a 5wt line on it you could put it on the rod and give it a try, but probably will be tough to cast it well especially if you are just starting out.

My suggestion is to get a Weight Forward 8wt line for your set-up. Use it for bass and some salt (you'd have to ask someone who knows the species you'd fish for to know if the 8wt would work). I don't know if fishing salt impacts your line choice so I'll leave that to someone else. Then keep your eyes open for a 9' 5wt or 9' 4wt set-up for trout. Don't need to break the bank to get a workable outfit for trout.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the help William and Larry , I'm gonna keep this for my bass fishing and I'm scouring the Internet for a trout setup. Oh well so much for two fish with one rod.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woz1844 View Post
Thanks for all the help William and Larry , I'm gonna keep this for my bass fishing and I'm scouring the Internet for a trout setup. Oh well so much for two fish with one rod.
Where do you live in NJ? What bodies of water do you plan to fish? I'm in Middlesex/Monmouth County, I fish bass, saltwater and when my buddies guilt me into it I take the occasional Trout trip.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Don't really have a "spot" just been going off recommendations. Pelham bay, and the flatbrook. Been there so far and looking for more. Any suggestions would be great.