The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default 6wt bass taper ?

I'm needed to fill a six wt slot,,for bass fishing,,and was wondering what real advantages a bass taper gives one over a standard wf-f line ?

THank
Michael
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: 6wt bass taper ?

The more powerful front end of a bass line helps turn over big, bulky. Flies.
I'll use a bass line for bass fishing for that reason... I'm usually chucking chunky flies many of which I want to splat on the water to get the fishes attention. Bass lines just make a day or two throwing big bugs easier on you.
I haven't tried the Rio Outbound Short but have used the standard Outbound quite a bit. If the Short has a real skinny running line like the original Outbound I foresee tangles and snarls in your future.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 6wt bass taper ?

I use a 6wt Bass Bug taper on a 9' 5wt TFO Signature and love it. I can toss a bit bigger hoppers and small/mid size poppers. You won't wow your buddies with 90' casts but really push bugs with accuracy into thos tight bass pockets.

IMHO many/most of the new generation graphite rods do very well with a careful application of "over lining", though I think the term 'over line' is a misnomer as there is no danger in doing this.

Though same rods oftne do better with rated sink or sink-tip lines.

Axiom, TiCrX love a bit heavier line. I use a 7wt SW taper exclusively on my 6wt Axiom.

Pete A.

(5wt TFO Signature with 6wy Bass Bug
Click the image to open in full size.

(6wt Axiom with 7wt SW Taper)
Click the image to open in full size.