The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Sharkskin (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/318629-sharkskin.html)

connahhh 05-06-2013 10:13 AM

Sharkskin

Hey all,

I just bought a closeout 10wt sharkskin line. Ive heard they can slice up hands pretty badly. Do you guys wear gloves, tape, etc?

For $15, I figured what the hell!

Thanks.

MoscaPescador 05-06-2013 10:53 AM

Re: Sharkskin

I have a Sharkskin GPX on my 5 weight. I do not wear anything kind of finger protection.

However a running fish on a 10 weight might change my mind.

Dennis

sweetandsalt 05-06-2013 01:41 PM

Assumng you are using a #10 for large powerful fish, I recomend either gloves or finger guards (ruberized sleeves that comfortably slip over your pointer and second digit. taping your fingers is a popular option too. Sharkskin is great line but indeed can cut you.

itchmesir 05-06-2013 03:27 PM

Fingers will be the least of your worries... I've been using WF3F SS Ultimate Trout on my CT for the past 6-8mo and it's just sawing through the guides...

cw76 05-06-2013 04:30 PM

I have a magnum taper 8wt line I use for steelhead fishing. I would definitely
recommend some sort of hand protection; I wore right through the calluses on my hand stripping that line and it didn't take long.

sweetandsalt 05-06-2013 05:10 PM

There are some great tapers in SS but I definitly prefer the kinder Textured or Ridge lines and there is nothing wrong with quality smooth lines. Taper is my main consideration.

pab1 05-07-2013 08:03 PM

I've had a Sharkskin line for a couple years now in 4 wt and just got around to really fishing it yesterday. After a few hours of constantly stripping line and catching a couple fish that made pretty good runs, I noticed my finger felt a little tender. I looked down and saw it was cut and bleeding. After that I held the line a little more toward my fingertip and as that began to get a groove worn into it I switched to my middle finger until it was time to call it a day. I worry about wearing out the guides on the rod after listening to the sawing sound it made all day.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e17c1a0908.jpg

Jackster 05-07-2013 10:34 PM

Since you already have the 10 weight Sharkskin you might as well use it. Just get some stripping guards and enjoy. They can be easily found via Google.
I've had to use these before Sharkskin was even a thought. Salt and dirt particles on a line as well as just plain old heat from friction can give you boo-boo's.

itchmesir, I can't help but wonder what kind of guides they put on those CT's. I have a lot of time using Sharkskin and did notice some wear on the epoxy around my guides but nothing on the guides themselves.
Then again, some guides wore out on fly rods even before Sharkskin was a thought. Friction, dirt and soft materials used on guides will create wear if used enough.
Still, Sharkskin, guides are whatever, wear like that on a three weight is a shocker to me.

sweetandsalt 05-08-2013 08:24 AM

When Sharkskin was released there were consumer concerns about guide wear. SA set up an illustrative experiment that they brought to all the Shows which cycled Sharkskin under load through arched guides in a continuous loop. Their point was that relatively soft vinyl, regardless of surface texture, was not going to impact chromed stainless steel. Not all guides are made of the same quality material and the increased surface area of textured line may perhaps hold more abrasive bits of grime which could enhance its cutting properties. Texturing fly line's surface has proven to enhance shooting and line pick-up off the water's surface. Sharkskin may have been too aggressively textured to fish well and the newer surface treatments of lines are quickly surpassing the first modern textured lines.

I say modern because in the 1970's an English company named Masterline made very high quality textured surface lines that were briefly popular on these shores. I still have one mounted on an old LRH for use on a 7 1/2' cane rod and it is a lovely pale olive color. Haven't cast it in decades though.