The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fred, how dumb can you get?

New custom build Skagit head from Steve Godshall this AM to go on the 'new' reel, 'new' rod (Sage 8136-4) and have to build-string together for a sink tip system. Started to put the whole thing together and found the date on the 25# Maxima butt section leader material was 12 (at least) years old.

Ah **** another trip to the store. 2.5 dollars in Petrol to buy 2.5 dollars worth of leader material. Will schedule in a trip to Wally's World as I need more TV freezer dinners and frozen veggies to top off.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fred, how dumb can you get?

Since you are going to replace it anyway (even though 12 yr. old .023 mono might still be OK if kept in a drawer), try RIO Hard Alloy Mono instead. Maxima is very old school and also very old tech.

RIO Alloy Hard Saltwater Mono Tippet - Saltwater Tippets | RIO
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Fred just one trip back to the store is not bad, your still good to go.

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Since you are going to replace it anyway (even though 12 yr. old .023 mono might still be OK if kept in a drawer), try RIO Hard Alloy Mono instead. Maxima is very old school and also very old tech.

RIO Alloy Hard Saltwater Mono Tippet - Saltwater Tippets | RIO
Just for information and not to be rude in anyway, what makes Maxima old school and tech? Thanks for your time.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 05-09-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Rick, Maxima is very good stuff, be it main line or leader. But all of this stuff (brand being beside the point) has a "shelf life" for a lack of a better term. Heat/sunlight will degrade all of them at some point.

Anyway, off to 'Big R' tomorrow to get new material and get these sink tips loaded up with butt sections. All will have 10# Maxima off the end of that. Spring King Fishing .... here I come!

Gear Guys will use much heavier material, but with a fly rod you have to scale it down to something practical. Used to use 9 and 10 weight rods, but far too much 'stick' for me at this point. But loved to use that Meiser 16' 10 weight; you could cast a concrete block with that Puppy. Now I just look at it ........
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

You are Correct Maxima is Good Stuff I really liked Their Tapered Leaders.
I also have heaps Old Diawa Streamline which looks identical & it's still OK as I've had it for 10-15 Years & kept it out of The Light however I've gone over To Fluoro.
For Small Dries in The Local Rivers when I get around to Fishing Them I Use Frogs Hair..
Brian.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
... what makes Maxima old school and tech?
Was thinking the same thing.

The hammer and the ax are both "old school" and just as effective today as they were +10,000 years ago.

The stuff works and still works well, even after all these years. Chameleon leaders with chameleon tippet for streamers and green tippet for everything else. (It isn't the easiest stuff to find these days though.)

It all comes down to what you want you leader/tippet to do and what your preferences are.