The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Hang marker (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/319591-hang-marker.html)

runningfish 05-16-2013 04:42 PM

Hang marker

What would be the right way and the right material to make my own hang marker for my intermediate line. You see, I have been using the clear tip intermediate line with clear blue head and running line. And dang; they are difficult to see. So I want to add a hang marker at the 20ft and at the 30ft from the tip. I once used permanent marker but a no no for me.

P.S. Whoa....since when did I become a senior member? Can I just stay being a member?

Hardyreels 05-16-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Hang marker

100 posts dude :)

I don't know what a hang marker is, honest. Is it like the load mark they put on a Spey line between running line and belly?

Ard

caseywise 05-16-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 556693)
100 posts dude :)

I don't know what a hang marker is, honest. Is it like the load mark they put on a Spey line between running line and belly?

Ard

yes, please elaborate.......no idea what a "hang marker" is.

runningfish 05-17-2013 12:28 AM

Sorry for not being clear. I borrowed the Hang Marker term from Rio Intouch line, I thought it was a standard term. The "hang marker" is like an indicator on your line so you know when you should stop retrieving and start lifting your rod slowly and then stop the lift to fish the hang. Stillwater fly fishermen in the UK use this method to fish deep water from a boat.
What I want to do is to use this "hang marker" to mark the 20FT and the 30FT from the tip of my line.

chased 05-17-2013 01:13 AM

Hmm...not real sure what to use. A permanent marker comes to mind but you said it didn't work very well. What about a very small piece of high-vis shrink tubing?

Chase

Hardyreels 05-17-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chased (Post 556730)
Hmm...not real sure what to use. A permanent marker comes to mind but you said it didn't work very well. What about a very small piece of high-vis shrink tubing?

Chase

Bingo for Chase!

I'm so glad I often read all other replies before I say the same exact thing :)

I have a Spey line that came with shrink tubing to use for marking the 'load point' which is very similar to this hang point. I choose not to use it but can see where some may find it very helpful.

Ard

Rip Tide 05-17-2013 05:52 AM

Lefty recommends tying in a nail knot for this purpose.

Years ago I thought about doing this as I was fishing at night a lot and thought it might help.
I found that as I normally cast the same distance on successive casts all I had to do was count the number of retrieval strips, say 25 each time, and then pick up for my next cast. It worked every time.
After a while I didn't even have to count. I could just tell instinctively.

runningfish 05-17-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 556763)
Lefty recommends tying in a nail knot for this purpose.

Years ago I thought about doing this as I was fishing at night a lot and thought it might help.
I found that as I normally cast the same distance on successive casts all I had to do was count the number of retrieval strips, say 25 each time, and then pick up for my next cast. It worked every time.
After a while I didn't even have to count. I could just tell instinctively.

That's a grand idea, I'll see if I can use some sewing materials and nail knots to make my own "hang marker".
I won't use shrink tube since I am technically incline and it might ruin the whole line.