The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Hang marker

What would be the right way and the right material to make my own hang marker for my intermediate line. You see, I have been using the clear tip intermediate line with clear blue head and running line. And dang; they are difficult to see. So I want to add a hang marker at the 20ft and at the 30ft from the tip. I once used permanent marker but a no no for me.

P.S. Whoa....since when did I become a senior member? Can I just stay being a member?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hang marker

100 posts dude

I don't know what a hang marker is, honest. Is it like the load mark they put on a Spey line between running line and belly?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
100 posts dude

I don't know what a hang marker is, honest. Is it like the load mark they put on a Spey line between running line and belly?

Ard
yes, please elaborate.......no idea what a "hang marker" is.

ARFE
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Sorry for not being clear. I borrowed the Hang Marker term from Rio Intouch line, I thought it was a standard term. The "hang marker" is like an indicator on your line so you know when you should stop retrieving and start lifting your rod slowly and then stop the lift to fish the hang. Stillwater fly fishermen in the UK use this method to fish deep water from a boat.
What I want to do is to use this "hang marker" to mark the 20FT and the 30FT from the tip of my line.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Hmm...not real sure what to use. A permanent marker comes to mind but you said it didn't work very well. What about a very small piece of high-vis shrink tubing?

Chase
Old 05-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Hmm...not real sure what to use. A permanent marker comes to mind but you said it didn't work very well. What about a very small piece of high-vis shrink tubing?

Chase
Bingo for Chase!

I'm so glad I often read all other replies before I say the same exact thing

I have a Spey line that came with shrink tubing to use for marking the 'load point' which is very similar to this hang point. I choose not to use it but can see where some may find it very helpful.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Lefty recommends tying in a nail knot for this purpose.

Years ago I thought about doing this as I was fishing at night a lot and thought it might help.
I found that as I normally cast the same distance on successive casts all I had to do was count the number of retrieval strips, say 25 each time, and then pick up for my next cast. It worked every time.
After a while I didn't even have to count. I could just tell instinctively.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Lefty recommends tying in a nail knot for this purpose.

Years ago I thought about doing this as I was fishing at night a lot and thought it might help.
I found that as I normally cast the same distance on successive casts all I had to do was count the number of retrieval strips, say 25 each time, and then pick up for my next cast. It worked every time.
After a while I didn't even have to count. I could just tell instinctively.
That's a grand idea, I'll see if I can use some sewing materials and nail knots to make my own "hang marker".
I won't use shrink tube since I am technically incline and it might ruin the whole line.