The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default RIO or Scientific Anglers

What brand of lines, between these two, do you all prefer, across the board?

I have gone back and forth between the two companies for a while. I use to fish all SA lines and then I tried an Outbound Short on a 9wt. when they first came out. Loved the line and started to make the transition to RIO. Now, I am contemplating diving back into SA lines.

When it comes to tapers and variety, there is no question that RIO has a lot more to chose from. For my type of fishing, I also believe RIO offers more tapers that are useful to me. In fact, SA seems to have thinned down their selection lately (no Bass taper, no Muskie taper). Now, with the purchase of SA by Orvis, I really do not know what to think of SA.

Same goes for leaders and tippet. SA just lacks selection.

What do you all prefer; RIO or SA?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RIO or Scientific Anglers

I used to prefer RIO, no question, their Selective Trout offering was the best for me. They changed to the Trout LT, which in my opinion, is a lifeless noodle in comparison. Based on the lack of any response to my questions from RIO, and the immediate response and recommendation from SA, I bought SA. I've been fishing the Mastery Trout for 6-8 months, I think, and it's the perfect line for me. My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I used to prefer RIO, no question, their Selective Trout offering was the best for me. They changed to the Trout LT, which in my opinion, is a lifeless noodle in comparison. Based on the lack of any response to my questions from RIO, and the immediate response and recommendation from SA, I bought SA. I've been fishing the Mastery Trout for 6-8 months, I think, and it's the perfect line for me. My 2 cents worth.
Interesting.

Glad you went with the SA line. Customer service speaks volumes to me about a company. Perhaps RIO (Farbank) is getting to big for their britches, but then again, may be this is an isolated incident.

Could you provide a bit more feedback on the Mastery Trout, along with any leader or tippet experiences you may have with SA product?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Sure.. I use it on my 7'9" Far and Fine 5 weight. I fish primarily #20 and smaller flies, mostly 2. This line lays out delicate casts, and roll casts further than I should be attempting.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I never tried SA lines and but used Orvis lines and dumped them into the trash. Right now I am exclusively using Rio. Actually gonna try their Power Play and Intouch deep line for my 6wt. I've never had any problems with their customer service, I emailed them and asked questions on their Facebook account and get answers in 24 hours if not sooner.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to fish Rio exclusively but discovered tapers and technology in within each brand I really like. I also really enjoy some of the Airflo lines as well.

For whatever it's worth, I recently had a question and submitted an email to Rio They replied to me within 2 hours.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

For us, RIO is number one and Airflo is number two for a couple specific lines. Neither of us with ever put another SA line on our reels. Not only because we don't like the lines, but we don't care for their customer service either.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM

HA! Ok, onthehunt, now you're totally confused...roll the dice..
Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
HA! Ok, onthehunt, now you're totally confused...roll the dice..

Nah.

Think its a matter of personal preference, Chevy-Ford or the sleeper Dodge!

I think they will both do well, its just finding what you like or what works for you. Again, would love to see SA broaden their offerings! In leaders and tippet too!

I will add, the leaders and tippet that I have used from SA has been good, strong and durable.

The only issues I've ever had with lines or tippet were with RIO, but I pass them off as rare occurances. I had line where the coating was coming off and I've had more than one spool of tippet with weak spots where the tippet was very fragile and just broke when tying knots.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike that Rio made the Gold taper a half size overweighted and the Grand taper a whole size overweighted. They were fine as they were. I have always been a fan of SA's Trout and GPX tapers, so it looks like I will continue to fish them.

Dennis