The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough
Default Sharkskin Line + skin = pain

When I bought my Superfine Touch 2wt over a month ago, It came with up to a $100 line credit. I picked up a 3wt Sharkskin line (which retails about $99.95). In all fairness here, the line performs great; rarely gets knots, shoots well, floats great. The problem is that it cuts my hands.

The cuts come from the unique texture the line has. The texture is done for a reason and does (I guess) enhance its performance, but after an hour or two of stripping it or guiding it into my reel spool while picking up line, it makes grooves in my finger and wares my skin down to almost bleeding. I love how the line performs, but I might honestly have to stop using it. I literally have groove marks sawed into my stripping finger, like an additional skin crease.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sharkskin Line + skin = pain

Don't know about your condition but that is all I use and I do fish more than the average. I ended with a little chapness last year but I was fishing 7 to 8 hours a day for 7 days straight. I have got cuts from sinking line and other floating line however. Water and line with fighting fish have that effect on my hands.
I have not had the same experience you have had. Must be my raw hide hands...LOL
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Ahhh Sharkskin. Yeah, that stuff has the ability to slice you up pretty good. It's not too bad if you're not stripping a lot of line, but as soon as you start your fingers will bleed. Give the SA Mastery Textured lines a try next time. The texturing on those lines are much less dramatic, and I've yet to have any cuts from it (and I use it on five different rods).

Throw some athletic tape over your finger before you head out with that line next time.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Ahhh Sharkskin. Yeah, that stuff has the ability to slice you up pretty good. It's not too bad if you're not stripping a lot of line, but as soon as you start your fingers will bleed. Give the SA Mastery Textured lines a try next time. The texturing on those lines are much less dramatic, and I've yet to have any cuts from it (and I use it on five different rods).

Throw some athletic tape over your finger before you head out with that line next time.

Personal experience? As I said, apparently "some" people. I have been using it for over 5 years now and "yes" I cast and strip. Not as bad as you are saying, really.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Yeah, personal experience. 3,5,6, and 8wt lines were pretty rough. The 3wt not as much because I just didn't strip as much with it. The 8 was a little thicker, which helped too. But honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to use that line again. Not because it is a bad line, but just because I hate when my fingers get cut up.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

regular line can cut too. Like I said, water and line, it can happen. Can I have your sharkskin ;-)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 PM

No doubt that regular line can cut too. In fact, I sliced my finger last weekend on a 450gr sink line. However, that is rare that it happens with my other lines. Sharkskin made it a regular occurrence. I'm not trying to bash SA though, because as I said earlier, I love their Textured Mastery lines. I just personally believe that the texture is too severe on the Sharkskin, with no real added benefits that I've noticed over other top lines.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM

I get that, but what did you do with the line? I would buy it for the right price. I am totally SS and see all sorts of advantages to it. Differ strokes.....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Oh sorry, but I sold the lines that I had.

Different strokes for sure. Luckily, these line companies have no shortage of choices for us.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I fish warmwater almost exclusively so I am constantly stripping with streamers and other moving flies. Like I said, I actually have another groove in my middle finger now from the line constantly running through it. I switched the line position on this finger the other day to avoid making it deeper and ended up wearing down almost to blood at a different spot. The problem is that you don't really notice it while its wearing away at you, only after you stop fishing. I think a lot of it is reeling in all my line when I move spots and guiding it into the reel spool with my fingers.