The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default AirFlo.....School Me

I grew up with SA lines, then fished RIO, then a mixture of RIO and SA and I am now mostly an SA guy. Over the past couple of years, I have been hearing mor and more about AirFlo lines. I know the two-hande guys really like the AirFlo lines and many other folks are spouting their qualities.

Therefore, I ask, what is it about AirFlo that makes these lines so good, if they are in fact that good?

I am more than open to trying them if they are a quality line. Also, while we are speaking of AirFlo, how are their leaders and tippet?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AirFlo.....School Me

The 2hander lines are very good if properly matched to the rod. As for the 1hander lines .... the Brit's refer to them as 'AirFlops.' Candidly, never cast one on a 1hander but the 'thumbs down' appears to be pretty universal on that side of the Pond.

fae
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Airflo makes high quality lines that differ from our US made products. SA, RIO and Cortland apply variations on Vinyl onto braided or monocore Nylon cores whereas Airflo employs a polymer on a limited stretch core material. Years ago I found their taper to be funky but with the very able assistance from anglers like the Henry's Fork's, Rene Harrop and great caster, rod designer and Airflo US distributor, Tim Rajeff, they have been transformed. Their "Ridge" series of lines are the silent textured fly line utilizing lengthwise ridges to reduce frictional contact. My Scott S4s literally sings with Ridge Tropical (quietly)...it is by far the best line on this rod. My ECHO3 #6 too is at its best with a Ridge Tactical Taper Trout line. ON the other hand, when we tried my buds Sage XP with this line, it preferred a RIO Gold. So, as is always the case, the rod determines the best line if you have the opportunity to try multiple lines.

Airflo is a contender with new product just released and seems very durable as well. An English birdie told me that Brits are fishing Airflos on the Hardy Zenith rods on their side of the pond and I should try one myself...and I will
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I am using a couple of Airflo lines and I do like them for the rods I have them on. Like Sweetandsalt professes, matching any line up with the right rod is key and of course a personal choice. Understanding the taper and comparing it to another brand/variation is key.

I am using Ridge Supple Tactical WF4 on several medium/medium fast action rods, now in my 2nd season and the line is still in excellent condition. 4wt's are my most fished rods. I find it performs much better when cleaned and lubed, which shouldn't be a shock as any line I've ever fished does. However, I have also found that my Airflo lines needs to be cleaned more frequently. Maybe it's just me?

Airflo lines are Polyurethane and not PVC, so from my research they are unaffected by Deet whereas your PVC lines will be impacted by it. If you fish buggy places and use Deet, this would be an advantage.

I'm not a chemist, but from reading, the PU is also more resistant to cracking and is also UV resistant, whereas PVC lines are more susceptible to both.

FWIW, I fish lines from Rio, SA and Airflo and like certain lines from each brand. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if you get the right line matched with the right rod I think you'd be happy with it.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

All my 2H lines are Airflo and I like them for the non stretch quality they have. I agree that the "Ridge" system has made their trout lines appealing. I have three that are backups to Terenzio silk lines on my trout rods. I've fished them a few times and frankly they work just a well as any plastic line I've ever cast.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have but 1, it is the Delta Long 9/0 and it is a 130' or so Spey line. This is my first year with one of the lines but after several days of it I like it well enough.

By the sounds of it Jason & Richard have some hands on with the shorter lines.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I've used Airflo Ridgeline Tactical Trout for a couple of years now in a WF4 configuration. I like the line because it's low stretch and deet resistant. The deet piece key for when I'm fishing in the summer and loaded with it to keep away the swarm and the ticks. It's also darn durable and has not experienced the cracks and such that I find with my Rio lines.

I don't think the line shoots as well for me as Rio and SA lines, and when cleaned it doesn't stay clean as long and begins to feel "sticky" quicker than Rio and SA lines. That's a big problem for me and has me putting the Airflo to the back of the rotation, even though I like the taper.

I've been cleaning the line with Zipcast on occasion or mostly a wet towel when I'm done with every outing. It's been dressed with Agent X from Rio. It's possible I need to examine a new line dressing for this line and plan on doing just that on my next trip in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Chi, I should clean all my lines more often but I find that mild dish soap diluted in warm water and a rag is best for most lines. I wonder if cleansers designed for PVC work equally well with Airflo's polymer. If I get a chance today (unlikely) I will call Rajeff Sports and ask their advice. I do like RIO Agent X though but this is a class of product I find it difficult to comparatively analyze.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Chi, I should clean all my lines more often but I find that mild dish soap diluted in warm water and a rag is best for most lines. I wonder if cleansers designed for PVC work equally well with Airflo's polymer. If I get a chance today (unlikely) I will call Rajeff Sports and ask their advice. I do like RIO Agent X though but this is a class of product I find it difficult to comparatively analyze.
S&S - Rajef Sports recommends mild soap and water and any commercial fly line lubricant. Basically, I use basic water and a towel until it comes through clean. I'm going to try a different dressing/lube and see if I get better results the next time I get on the water in a couple weeks.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I had been using Zipcast or soap/water to clean the line and then dress with Agent X because that's what I had on hand. I decided to try something different and bought Airflo's Whiz Lube thinking maybe their lube would be better suited for the PU lines. I fished the same line over the course of 2 days and thought it performed noticeably better than when dressed with Agent X. YMMV.