The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Question Coloring Fly Line?

I was out on the creek last week and I got into a rhythm of doing spey style casts with my single hand 8wt. but I noticed there was a sweet spot for line length to make it work right. I was wondering if there was a way to dye a spot onto my line and the sweet spot at the rod tip. and how to do so.
thanks
Mike
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Coloring Fly Line?

Waterproof markers (sharpie)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I was out on the creek last week and I got into a rhythm of doing spey style casts with my single hand 8wt. but I noticed there was a sweet spot for line length to make it work right. I was wondering if there was a way to dye a spot onto my line and the sweet spot at the rod tip. and how to do so.
thanks
Mike
Yes marker pen and mark where the line is near your hand - not at the rod tip - which is too far to see especially against the sun. I mark my running line every 10ft. So I know exactly the length of line I'm casting. Casting consistent sized loops make spey casting much easier as you can judge speed and timing much better.

Cheers

Colin
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, the Permanent Markers (Sharpie)

I tried to use fly tying thread to mark my line. That method failed on me so I ended up using the permanent marker. Easy, No stain but make sure you give the marker enough time to dry.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

Better yet.....nail knot a piece of mono around the fly line where you want to hold the line. This takes your eyes out of the equation.
When you retrieve you feel the knot and know when to stop and water haul.
Excellent for night and low light fishing.
I've tried marking the line and it never seems to work for me. The small nail knot works great.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

looks like im taking sharpe with my on the creek. I like the line knot too.
thanks