The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default How to ID a line?

hi all,

I was given a bunch of fly lines and told they are all 4 & 5# lines, DT and WF. None of them are marked, is there an easy way to determine what I have?

All of these will be given to charity so I would like to label them first.
Thanks for any help.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to ID a line?

You have to weigh the first 30 feet and use the chart beow.

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Silver. Lucky me I have a scale that should work for this. Is there a way to tell if the line is WF or DT?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Thanks Silver. Lucky me I have a scale that should work for this. Is there a way to tell if the line is WF or DT?

Thanks!
Yes. Front of the line is to the left side of this image.

Click the image to open in full size.

A WF line is thin on the front end, gets thicker and then gets thinner all the way to the back end.

A DT line is thin on both ends and gets thicker in the middle.
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks, I will keep this handy.