The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough
Default Im new to all this

I would still consider myself a beginner at the fly fishing deal and I have been researching fly lines. I was wondering if anyone could give me a crash course in good fly lines for bass and trout fishing. How important is the choice of the quality of fly line? Should I invest in some species spesific line? How can you tell the difference in a good line and bad one? When is it the quality of the lines fault and the quality of the rod? Any input would be very helpful.

Thank you all.

Peter
Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Im new to all this

Peter,

There are various factors that contribute to the quality and cost of a fly line. As a newer fly angler, you do not need to purchase an $80 plus fly line. The lines core, its outer coating and the manufacturer all factor into the cost of a line. Taking care of your line, any line, will greatly extend the life of it, even a heavily used line.

Realistically, you are talking about two different tapers when you are looking for a Trout line and a Bass line. Most of your Bass flies are larger, heavier and more wind resistant. Therefore, you want a line with the majority of the grain weight towards the front or "head". This makes fly turnover easier and it also makes it easier to throw those bigger flies into a wind.

As for Trout, you could use three or four different tapers, all depending on rod, flies, waters fished, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im new to all this

Here's the basic answers

The fly rod casts the fly line and fights the fish. So you need to pick a fly rod action that suits your casting style and will still be able to tame the species you are after. A rod has to do both jobs and not just one. For example, you would not pick a slow action rod to fight a tuna, even if you like casting slow action rods.

You choose a fly line based on the taper of the fly line AND whether it sinks or floats, or does both as in a sink tip fly line.

The choice of the taper depends on what fly you are casting AND how gently you want that fly to land. For casting heavy and/or air resistant flies as you may do in bass fishing,you want a "bass bug taper" line with taper designed so the line mass is toward the front of the fly line. For spooky trout in clear water, you want a very gentle and long taper so the line lands with minimal disturbance.

Specialty taper fly lines are more expensive than a generic Weight Forward (WF) or Double Taper (DT). So I don't think you are going to find a Bass Bug Taper fly line that is very cheap. You might find one on sale but it will be more expensive than the generic DT/WF fly lines.

So the short answer is that if you buy a WF/DT fly line that works for trout, you will limit your ability to cast the heavier flies.

One of the best if not the best line for casting heavy flies is the Rio Clouser.

Cabela's - RIOŽ Coldwater Clouser

Here is the taper profile of the Rio Clouser and you can see the taper places more mass forward than the generic DT and WF tapers below

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy