The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Sink tip or full sinking line for bass (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/323363-sink-tip-full-sinking-line-bass.html)

notenuftoys 06-26-2013 12:31 PM

Sink tip or full sinking line for bass

It's officially summer, which means bass have for the most part gone deep. To chase them, should I get a sink tip or a full sinking line? I'm looking at getting down 20-30 feet.

Recommendations for 7wt and 8wt line would also be appreciated.

s fontinalis 06-26-2013 12:55 PM

Re: Sink tip or full sinking line for bass

unless you're fishing stillwaters from a boat, i'd stay away from full sinking.

notenuftoys 06-26-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s fontinalis (Post 567289)
unless you're fishing stillwaters from a boat, i'd stay away from full sinking.

I'll be fishing from a float tube.

runningfish 06-26-2013 01:25 PM

You can look at the 24ft Rio Sink Tip ~300 grains, Rio 15Ft sink tip type 6, or the Rio InTouch Deep.

bigjim5589 06-26-2013 01:29 PM

IMO, sink tips are better for water deep enough that a floating line is not ideal, perhaps 5 to 10 ft, but beyond that I prefer a full sinking line. I know guys who use shooting heads too, and they may be even a better choice, but I've always stayed with full lines.

The biggest problem with trying to go deep with a sink tip is the floating portion is laying horizontal, while the sinking portion my be vertical. So, you don't really have good control of the line. It's like fishing under a bobber. Trying to set the hook is then difficult, unless the fish takes off & straightens out the line, which never seems to happen for me.

Frankly, I don't like fishing with flies deeper than about 15 ft anyway. Have done it enough down to 20, but beyond that depth I really prefer other tackle. That's just me!

IMO, fly fishing (casting & retrieving a fly, not trolling) is limited to about a depth of 30 ft anyway. Some do it beyond that but not many. Then it becomes quite specialized & takes great deal of patience. Not much fun either, at least I don't think so.

BTW, I've never fished for LM or Sm bass that deep with flies. All of my deep fishing has been for Striped bass in tidal water. Similar, but not the same.
In tidal water there are often currents you have to contend with, so lines that sink at very fast rates, 5 to 6 ips or faster are often needed. Plus, Stripers tend to move around a lot more, and quickly as they follow baitfish schools.

You might do fine with a slower sink rate for bass, but keep in mind that depending on how fast the line sinks, will affect how long the fly stays in the strike zone. Too fast, particularly when the bass are suspended, and the line may pull the fly down past the fish too quickly. Too slow & the fly may not get down to the fish fast enough or at all. IMO, 3 to 4 ips is a good all around sink rate. It's what I use most. I only go to the faster sink rate when it's needed, such as when there's strong current. Which also means one line does not fit all situations.

Also keep in mind that water temps affect sink rates too. The colder the water, the slower the line will sink. There may also be a point with some lines that they actually stop sinking, much like a suspending type crankbait. Even though the surface water temps may be warm, temps down 30 ft may not be as warm.

Depth also requires changes in leaders & tippet. Shorter is usually better than longer, otherwise the line sinks, but the fly may not sink to the same level. Weight in the fly can help, but like my example with sink tips, you want to stay in contact with the fly & still have control of it as well. If the line is down & the fly is up, you end up with the same horizontal/vertical situation, making it again difficult to detect strikes & to set the hook.

Something to think about. :rolleyes:

delopez 06-28-2013 09:40 AM

I would recommend a rio outbound short. You can get them in all kinds of sink rates. I don't go past an intermediate, unless I'm fishing for deepwater catfish or walleye. At that point, I'm in a boat anyway, so I use an in-touch deep 7.