The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM

mdlb21 is on a distinguished road
Default Rio Gold or Grand for Redington CPX 4wt

Just picked up a closeout 8'6 CPX 4wt. The question is what line will work the best, not tied down to Rio as my local shop also carries SA, but thought it would be interesting to see what people thought of the ".5 over or full line weight over" lines for faster rods. Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rio Gold or Grand for Redington CPX 4wt

Not a very accurate comparison as it's on a 10 footer but I put the Rio Gold on my 4wt Helios in tip flex and really like it. I just got another off ebay as I cut the previous one somehow. Some of the 2012 lines are $25 off as a shop in Chicago is clearing them out for the new 2013 lines. I think it's a good match as it doesn't feel like overkill with a full over-lining. I also think the road loads pretty quickly with minimal line out and I can roll over a pretty stout nymph rig with it. I use it for both nymphing and dries. Haven't tried the Grand yet.

I imagine your using the shorter 8'6" for mostly dries though so hopefully someone can chime in with a better comparison to the CPX.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

My 9' 0" CPX 3 wt isn't happy until it has at least a 4 wt and preferably a 4.5 wt line on it.

I'll be interested in what you end up with.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking about 2013 Rio line, I would recommend Gold. If you want and can find 2012 model line, go with Grand. From what I understand, Gold is now .5 line weight up, which is where Grand was before the full line up in the 2013 release. Personally, I like the taper of Gold better and I'd probably recommend that.

You'll get a varying degree of preferences on full, 1/2 or close to standard line weight. I fish Z Axis and XP with .5 and they do just fine for me. I'm not the most accomplished caster, but I'm not horrible either, even if Chiflyfisher tells you otherwise.

SA GPX would be another good option. The more Rio changes these line weights, the more appealing SA Lines become. I've long been fishing Rio lines too.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

Please take the following advice with a grain of salt as I am a self taught duffer that just manages to get a fly in front of hungry trout more often than not.

Not quite apples to apples but I have tried several different lines on a 5 wt. CPX. I would recommend SA Mastery series in regular 5 wt. forward for your 4 wt. rod if you are stream fishing. The WF taper roll casts nicer for me than the 1/2 size up Grand or SA 1/2 size up line. I also find the regular WF taper is less intrusive when hitting the water even in a heavier line.

The 1/2 size up lines do cast nicely however and don't take as much life out of the rod. If you are fishing small lakes or larger rivers it may be the ticket. Once you get some line in the air it loads the rod very nicely.

I haven't got a chance to try the new Rio Gold but it should be a very nice fit as well if it is 1/2 size heavy. I always liked the taper of the Gold but was not impressed with the durability.

I do believe the rod should be overlined regardless of which line you choose.

Great pick up on the CPX BTW. It is an awesome value and I am considering picking up the exact rod on closeout. Mr Anderson did an extreme injustice to this series IMO when it first was introduced by thrashing it in the shootout review. At regular markup it was as good as any in it's price range and better than most. At the closeout pricing it is an absolute steal.