Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM

buggravy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropical Lines Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Fred,

I appreciate the advice. Are they designed differently to withstand the heat, or is there something else to them?

-VB
Follow the link below, and scroll down to the section on lines. There's a pretty good explanation of the functional differences.

http://www.louisianaflywater.com/equipment.html
von behr likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer junkie View Post
I use a few of the Outbound flies but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?
Looking foreword (hope we get one) to your question. Never fish 'tropical waters' and would be interesting to see how a cold water line vs. a hot water line compare on a similar rod.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The best way I can describe a cold water line in tropical temps is "gooey", it won't actually melt but it feels like it's about to.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
Follow the link below, and scroll down to the section on lines. There's a pretty good explanation of the functional differences.

http://www.louisianaflywater.com/equipment.html
Thanks for the link. It looks like a pretty straight forward deal. I've got the tropicals on order, and will use them on the trip for sure.

I appreciate the information.

-VB
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I just order an Outbound short tropical floating line in 8 wt. and an Outbound short tropical intermediate line in 9 wt. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test soon.
I fished the Outbound Tropical Short in Mexico earlier this year and, depending on the temperature, either loved it or hated it, often both in the span of a couple of hours.

Got out early on the Sea of Cortez, boat, and during the cooler mornings the stuff coiled up in maddening style, knotting the stripped line enough to make me want to pitch the whole thing in the gulf. But as the day warmed, and later in the week on the beaches, the line performed like a champ.

Be sure to stretch it out good before using.

So, I guess, I'm suggesting you take a couple of spools if you expect the temps to vary significantly. Tropical for the heat of the day, something a bit stiffer for cool mornings. (Cool defined as under 80).

Edit: Just checked the box and the RIO Tropical Outbound Short is suggested for 75-100 degrees.

Mike
von behr likes this.

Last edited by Sep; 07-25-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
The best way I can describe a cold water line in tropical temps is "gooey", it won't actually melt but it feels like it's about to.
So true and conversally a tropical line in cold weather turns into the return of SLINKEY! Found out the hard way Steelheading!
von behr likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I fished the Outbound Tropical Short in Mexico earlier this year and, depending on the temperature, either loved it or hated it, often both in the span of a couple of hours.

Got out early on the Sea of Cortez, boat, and during the cooler mornings the stuff coiled up in maddening style, knotting the stripped line enough to make me want to pitch the whole thing in the gulf. But as the day warmed, and later in the week on the beaches, the line performed like a champ.

Be sure to stretch it out good before using.

So, I guess, I'm suggesting you take a couple of spools if you expect the temps to vary significantly. Tropical for the heat of the day, something a bit stiffer for cool mornings. (Cool defined as under 80).

Mike
Looks like there's a definite threshold to look out for. I'll bring my Sage LMB taper as well, just in case. Now you really made me curious to see how these lines will perform. I'll be sure to report back when I return.

-VB

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
So true and conversally a tropical line in cold weather turns into the return of SLINKEY! Found out the hard way Steelheading!
That doesn't sound like fun. I'll have to remember to switch out the lines when I get back.

Thanks,

-VB
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

This post is probably too late. For the Tampa region, I'd go with a braided core tropical line and not a hard mono core line. The hard mono core lines are best suited for extended periods of baking in the sun on a skiff deck and are hard to control otherwise.

They also have a greater tendency to coil and twist than braided core lines regardless of temperature.

You'll have to check the specs on each different line as Rio, SA and probably others make both types.
von behr likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM

I got my reels loaded up with Rio tropical lines for the Florida trip at the end of the month. I put the Outbound Short Intermediate on my Super 9, and the Tropical Clouser floating on my Super 8. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
This post is probably too late. For the Tampa region, I'd go with a braided core tropical line and not a hard mono core line. The hard mono core lines are best suited for extended periods of baking in the sun on a skiff deck and are hard to control otherwise.

They also have a greater tendency to coil and twist than braided core lines regardless of temperature.

You'll have to check the specs on each different line as Rio, SA and probably others make both types.
Jim,

From what I could find out on their website, the Rio tropical lines have braided cores.

Thanks for the information and advice.

-VB

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer junkie View Post
I use a few of the Outbound lines but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?
I haven't tried them yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. My trip to the Gulf Coast of Florida is at the end of August.

-VB
Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

VB,
It's hard keeping track of who makes what anymore, and it is compounded by manufacturers listing the same lines under more than one name like "bonefish taper" and "tropical express" or something.

Rio's solid, hard mono core lines do indeed appear to be in the large sizes, Tarpon and Billfish lines. The last flats lines I bought in 7 and 8 weights with solid hard mono cores were SA lines. The Cortland Liquid clear lines are also sold mono core lines in sizes 10 and heavier anyhow. I don't know about the lighter ones, but I would assume so.

As for the stickiness due to drying salt, you can either keep the stripped line wet a bucket with a little water in it or strip it onto a wet towel on the deck. It does help it to shoot much better, especially if in a bucket , and not much water is needed. So I just dump in fresh water.

Good luck on your Tampa trip, and let us know what you think of your line selection.
von behr likes this.