The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Tropical Lines Question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/324591-tropical-lines-question.html)

von behr 07-09-2013 12:49 AM

Tropical Lines Question

I'll be fishing in the Tampa area at the end of August and was wondering if I will need a tropical line in the heat, or can I use what I already have?

I currently have a 300-grain S/A Streamer Express and a 9-wt. Rio Versi Tip line with interchangeable 15-ft heads. I also have the Sage largemouth bass taper line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-VB

half fast 07-09-2013 08:59 AM

Re: Tropical Lines Question

I suspect it will depend on how you're fishing. If you're boat fishing with a pile of line lying on the boat deck, ready to shoot, for a long time while you scout for a fish, the line will get quite hot in the sun and you may want a tropical line.

OTOH, if you're wading and your line is in the water most of the time, it won't get too hot and what you have will probably be fine.

von behr 07-09-2013 09:11 AM

1/2, Thanks. That makes sense. I'll be doing a bit of both, so I might need to get a tropical floating line just in case.

fredaevans 07-09-2013 01:04 PM

I'd recommend you get a tropical line. The construction/coatings on a cold and hot water line are very different.

von behr 07-09-2013 08:40 PM

Fred,

I appreciate the advice. Are they designed differently to withstand the heat, or is there something else to them?

-VB

fredaevans 07-10-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by von behr (Post 571239)
Fred,

I appreciate the advice. Are they designed differently to withstand the heat, or is there something else to them?

-VB

Honestly can't answer that question, Call-E-mail RIO. They'll give you the answer. Coatings I know are very different, interior's I really don't know.

von behr 07-10-2013 03:25 PM

Thanks Fred. I'll contact them and find out.

Cheers,

-VB :)

fredaevans 07-10-2013 10:13 PM

Ask for "Simon G," he designs most (all?) of their fly lines. Understand why Sage purchased the Company; he was part of the package? You'd be hard pressed to meet a finer Gentleman.

Fred

von behr 07-13-2013 03:05 PM

I just order an Outbound short tropical floating line in 8 wt. and an Outbound short tropical intermediate line in 9 wt. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test soon.

Thanks for the advice.

-VB :):):)

streamer junkie 07-15-2013 06:33 AM

I use a few of the Outbound lines but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?