The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Tropical Lines Question

I'll be fishing in the Tampa area at the end of August and was wondering if I will need a tropical line in the heat, or can I use what I already have?

I currently have a 300-grain S/A Streamer Express and a 9-wt. Rio Versi Tip line with interchangeable 15-ft heads. I also have the Sage largemouth bass taper line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-VB
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Re: Tropical Lines Question

I suspect it will depend on how you're fishing. If you're boat fishing with a pile of line lying on the boat deck, ready to shoot, for a long time while you scout for a fish, the line will get quite hot in the sun and you may want a tropical line.

OTOH, if you're wading and your line is in the water most of the time, it won't get too hot and what you have will probably be fine.
von behr and fredaevans like this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

1/2, Thanks. That makes sense. I'll be doing a bit of both, so I might need to get a tropical floating line just in case.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend you get a tropical line. The construction/coatings on a cold and hot water line are very different.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Fred,

I appreciate the advice. Are they designed differently to withstand the heat, or is there something else to them?

-VB
Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Fred,

I appreciate the advice. Are they designed differently to withstand the heat, or is there something else to them?

-VB
Honestly can't answer that question, Call-E-mail RIO. They'll give you the answer. Coatings I know are very different, interior's I really don't know.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks Fred. I'll contact them and find out.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Tropical Lines Question

Ask for "Simon G," he designs most (all?) of their fly lines. Understand why Sage purchased the Company; he was part of the package? You'd be hard pressed to meet a finer Gentleman.

Fred
von behr likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 PM

I just order an Outbound short tropical floating line in 8 wt. and an Outbound short tropical intermediate line in 9 wt. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test soon.

Thanks for the advice.

-VB
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM

streamer junkie is on a distinguished road

I use a few of the Outbound lines but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?

Last edited by streamer junkie; 07-15-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling error