The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   ????3wt or 4wt line???? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/325273-3wt-4wt-line.html)

coloradocaddis970 07-16-2013 12:25 PM

????3wt or 4wt line????

So i finally picked up a reel for my cheapo back up 3/4 wt rod. now my question is line. Its an older but great condition Diawa 3/4wt 8ft rod (don't know more than that about it). It feels like a medium action. I got an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 reel. But what line do i use. a 3 or a 4? Anyone got any ideas on #/# wt rods and how you would line them. I'm going to be using it on larger creeks(something i don't feel safe with my 2wt on). Probably using mostly light dry dropper rigs or just drys.

Any ideas?

williamhj 07-16-2013 12:50 PM

Re: ????3wt or 4wt line????

One way to look at those ratings is to use the lower number if you get a DT line and the higher if you get a WF line. I made my wife a rod rated 4/5 and picked up an Orvis Clearwater 4wt line that is weighted 1/2 line wt higher and it casts very nicely.

The best would be to have a buddy with reels with 3wt and 4wt line to try, but if it were me I'd probably just get a DT4wt line. I like DTs and with lighter rods I tend to fish in closer so like the extra weight to load the rod with less line out the tip.

Rip Tide 07-16-2013 01:00 PM

I have a Scottish made Diawa Lockmor-X, 8', 4wt.
It's a very nice rod and that $50 purchase was money well spent
I use a 444peach DT4 on mine

sageandonion 07-31-2013 12:43 PM

Orvis currently do a budget line (not sure of the name) that's half a weight heavy - so a 3wt would be a 3.5wt. Maybe that would be a good place to start.

silver creek 07-31-2013 02:32 PM

I ask how far would you normally be casting the line? That will determine the average line mass outside of the rod; and more than anything else, this will determine the best weight fly line to get.

For example if you are going to normally cast the fly 40 feet, that would be about 8 foot of fly rod, 8 feet of leader and 24 or so feet of fly line. It is still not the theoretical 30 feet of line to "balance" the rod. My suspicion is that you will make 90+% of your casts will not require 30 feet of fly line. So get a 4 weight fly line. Unless you are going to routinely cast long, I'd get a DT 4 wt line.

randyboy 09-09-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 577867)
I ask how far would you normally be casting the line? That will determine the average line mass outside of the rod; and more than anything else, this will determine the best weight fly line to get.

For example if you are going to normally cast the fly 40 feet, that would be about 8 foot of fly rod, 8 feet of leader and 24 or so feet of fly line. It is still not the theoretical 30 feet of line to "balance" the rod. My suspicion is that you will make 90+% of your casts will not require 30 feet of fly line. So get a 4 weight fly line. Unless you are going to routinely cast long, I'd get a DT 4 wt line.

I sometimes fish small flies down stream, or soft hackles, on my 4 weight, using a slack line mending technique, with a lot of line out, on smooth, glassy watered spring creeks. A weight forward line does not mend well slack line, not nearly as nice as a clean, freshly dressed Double Taper line. Nor does it float as well.

Go with a reel that will allow you to load 50 yds of backing and a DT 4 weight line.