The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default ????3wt or 4wt line????

So i finally picked up a reel for my cheapo back up 3/4 wt rod. now my question is line. Its an older but great condition Diawa 3/4wt 8ft rod (don't know more than that about it). It feels like a medium action. I got an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 reel. But what line do i use. a 3 or a 4? Anyone got any ideas on #/# wt rods and how you would line them. I'm going to be using it on larger creeks(something i don't feel safe with my 2wt on). Probably using mostly light dry dropper rigs or just drys.

Any ideas?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ????3wt or 4wt line????

One way to look at those ratings is to use the lower number if you get a DT line and the higher if you get a WF line. I made my wife a rod rated 4/5 and picked up an Orvis Clearwater 4wt line that is weighted 1/2 line wt higher and it casts very nicely.

The best would be to have a buddy with reels with 3wt and 4wt line to try, but if it were me I'd probably just get a DT4wt line. I like DTs and with lighter rods I tend to fish in closer so like the extra weight to load the rod with less line out the tip.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Scottish made Diawa Lockmor-X, 8', 4wt.
It's a very nice rod and that $50 purchase was money well spent
I use a 444peach DT4 on mine
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Orvis currently do a budget line (not sure of the name) that's half a weight heavy - so a 3wt would be a 3.5wt. Maybe that would be a good place to start.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I ask how far would you normally be casting the line? That will determine the average line mass outside of the rod; and more than anything else, this will determine the best weight fly line to get.

For example if you are going to normally cast the fly 40 feet, that would be about 8 foot of fly rod, 8 feet of leader and 24 or so feet of fly line. It is still not the theoretical 30 feet of line to "balance" the rod. My suspicion is that you will make 90+% of your casts will not require 30 feet of fly line. So get a 4 weight fly line. Unless you are going to routinely cast long, I'd get a DT 4 wt line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 AM

randyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I ask how far would you normally be casting the line? That will determine the average line mass outside of the rod; and more than anything else, this will determine the best weight fly line to get.

For example if you are going to normally cast the fly 40 feet, that would be about 8 foot of fly rod, 8 feet of leader and 24 or so feet of fly line. It is still not the theoretical 30 feet of line to "balance" the rod. My suspicion is that you will make 90+% of your casts will not require 30 feet of fly line. So get a 4 weight fly line. Unless you are going to routinely cast long, I'd get a DT 4 wt line.
I sometimes fish small flies down stream, or soft hackles, on my 4 weight, using a slack line mending technique, with a lot of line out, on smooth, glassy watered spring creeks. A weight forward line does not mend well slack line, not nearly as nice as a clean, freshly dressed Double Taper line. Nor does it float as well.

Go with a reel that will allow you to load 50 yds of backing and a DT 4 weight line.