The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticky Fly Line

Yup, that's what you need to do. Throw more money at it.
I swear if you had a cheap, general purpose line, you would not be having this problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I only posted his response and not what I was going to do. I wanted to see how many call BS on a sales pitch...

I'm not really an "extra spool" guy with tons of line for any application but I can see where his point lead to the difference in weather here in Pa.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in Pennsylvania is the definition of "average"
Anybody that tells you different is pullin' your chain.

I call BS.... big time
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what's "average" these days as crazy as the weather is, but I do know this: Buying a tropical line for PA stream/river fishing is nothing I would consider, that's just a waste in my opinion, given that our weather is hardly tropical for the majority of the year. You may have bought the wrong line in that the coatings on that particular line of fly line may not be as tolerant as some of the others in extreme conditions, but for the bulk of the year, I'm sure it will fish just fine here in PA. Then again, who knows, other freshwater lines may not have held up well either. This heat wave has been brutal.

You may have hit the peak/extreme conditions with that line, or perhaps not. I'm still in the camp that a good cleaning & good dressing are in order. 3 times may or may not make a difference in how dirty the line is. I haven't fished the Suskie but as you noted, the water quality is not exactly clean.

I don't consider the response BS. Without knowing all the details, it seems the response provided came from the line manufacturer, of course they are going to recommend another fly line more appropriate for those conditions. Whether you choose to act upon that is entirely up to you.

Sometimes in my line of business, I am asked to provide recommendations to customers that are faced with a challenge. Sometimes they like what I have to say, other times I'm sure they don't. I stand behind what I recommend taking into account their given situation and the options available to them. Of course they are able to look at 3rd party options, act on my recommendations or do nothing at all and make what they have work.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM

There's no two ways to look at it.
The guy was lying through his teeth just trying to make a sale.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
+1 on giving the line a good cleaning, but my 'call' is they sold you the wrong type of line from the 'git-go.' The coatings on tropical lines are very different than that used on a 'cold water' line.
No doubt. They never should have sold you that line for your fishing needs. I'd take it back.
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's no two ways to look at it.
The guy was lying through his teeth just trying to make a sale.
I think that part of it is that they don't have tons of variations in product for a 10weight.
For instance- if I was only going to purchase Rio, here's what else they have...

Power Fly
Muskie/Pike

He did mention that those 2 lines do over power the tropical as far as head weight and may not be a great match since I'm more in the bass/muskie niche... Its too much for a smaller fly and I'm not really throwing 14" flies for muskie. The river muskie here will eat anything down to a mini rebel crayfish lure (I know from experience)

I also looked at Jim Teeny's big bass bug fly line and thought id give a call for more info on that product. I will clean the line I have though and see what happens on the next outing.

Weather here has been a bit extreme though, especially with the humidity. It seems worse than past years and now we're basically a part of tornado alley and catching tons of hurricane aftermath... I don't ever remember the weather being so weird around here.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

What is the temp of the water? Not the air. The fly line is in the water most of the time.

Go to RIO's own web page and go through the Line Selector - there is absolutely no way - ever - that a tropical line is coming up on the selector for what you're looking to do with your 10 wt. Your comment about their limited offerings on the 10 wt was something that immediately came to my mind, "they must have not had many choices in stock."
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM

At 98deg, the water would be around 89. It was like bath water and some of the channels have cooler spirts.

I actually did their line selector a few times and it kept showing non-compatible. I'll try again.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Maybe too over simplistic on my part, but does your bug repellant contain DEET? It does bad things to the coatings on fly lines. I'm 99% sure you already know that, but on the off chance I thought I'd mention it.