The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default Re: Sticky Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
What is the temp of the water? Not the air. The fly line is in the water most of the time.

Go to RIO's own web page and go through the Line Selector - there is absolutely no way - ever - that a tropical line is coming up on the selector for what you're looking to do with your 10 wt. Your comment about their limited offerings on the 10 wt was something that immediately came to my mind, "they must have not had many choices in stock."
Just did the line selector again and here's what I select.

*single handed
*fresh water
*river
*pike/muskie (bass is separate category and recommends the Smallmouth line which only goes to 8w)
*floating

It says they cannot recommend anything. The Rivers here are not deep enough to worry with sinking or sink tip line. Id prefer floating line to throw on a big popper or frog.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
Maybe too over simplistic on my part, but does your bug repellant contain DEET? It does bad things to the coatings on fly lines. I'm 99% sure you already know that, but on the off chance I thought I'd mention it.
Ah ha! Good point...

I've been working at a home right off the river and 2 miles from where I was fishing. 2 days before the last outing there was a helicopter spraying for black flies...

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
h ha! Good point... I've been working at a home right off the river and 2 miles from where I was fishing. 2 days before the last outing there was a helicopter spraying for black flies...
Are you serious ? You really think that's it ?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Are you serious ? You really think that's it ?
I dunno... It throws another factor in. I don't know what's in that spray but probably not any worse than all the gasoline, chemical waste, human waste etc... that gets hoarded into the water.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Sticky Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
What is the temp of the water? Not the air. The fly line is in the water most of the time.

Go to RIO's own web page and go through the Line Selector - there is absolutely no way - ever - that a tropical line is coming up on the selector for what you're looking to do with your 10 wt. Your comment about their limited offerings on the 10 wt was something that immediately came to my mind, "they must have not had many choices in stock."
DEAD ON!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I can't imagine needing a tropical line in PA - absolutely for sure not one with a hard mono core, like most of the RIOs and the Cortland clear lines. They are too stiff and kinky for wade fishing just 100 miles north of me. Most of the guys up there like Air Flows like they use up north.

Even stiff tropical lines get very "sticky" just from salt water partially dried on the coating. and they don't cast well then. It takes only minutes for this to happen when laying on a skiff deck that's too hot to stand on in bare feet. But the lines aren't too"limp" and "mushy" to cast.

So if "sticky" describes the line better than "limp and mushy", I'd clean it good and grease it. I bring grease with me when skiff fishing and re-grease it two or three times while fishing just to cut down on the stickyness if I'm out all day.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Rather than use a bucket and soap this time, I used a cleaning patch so I could actually see how much dirt (if any)...

Here's the picture. I didn't really think it was too much.

Click the image to open in full size.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It may not look like much, but you may be surprised. How much line did you rip off and strip though it?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM

I did the whole 80 feet.

I was fishing this evening and the same stuff was happening.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If it still did it and it was greased up well, I don't have any suggestions since I've not fished up north for a long time. But if you decide on a tropical line get one with a braided core and not a mono core.

Don't take it the wrong way, but have you double- checked the line to make sure it's not a WF spooled backwards? I've caught myself doing that before.

It also could just be some really cheap line.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 AM

The line is spooled correctly.

I talked to Bass Pro on the phone this morning. The whole rod combo is going back and I'm shopping elsewhere for a new setup. The reel spool wobbles and the lock nut comes loose. The spool fell out twice while fishing and the one section of rod comes loose while casting...it came out a few times.
I always tighten things down pretty darn good before fishing... I've never had this happen with other rods. I was told that their "China" plant is closely monitored but seems like the whole deal just wasn't worth it.

At least I didn't have issues with the backing

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...