The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice
Default Sticky Fly Line

I had my 10w out today for bass and it has Rio Mainstream (Saltwater fly line). The fella at Bass pro told me that this line is ok to use for warm water river fishing... It was pretty hot today and the line was sticky. It was twining up so when I'd shoot it, it would stop as soon as a knot hit the guide.

I don't like the line. Any suggestions for a 10w line that will perform well during a hot day?or is that pretty normal?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sticky Fly Line

Just out of curiosity when was the last time you gave the line a good cleaning?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

I just bought the rod a couple weeks ago and this was the 3rd time I used it so I haven't cleaned it yet.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I'm not saying this is your problem but probably worth investigating. I've bought a new line before that needed to be cleaned out of the box. Also some waters seem to foul a line more quickly then others. I'd give it a good wash with warm soapy water and maybe treat it with fly line dressing then give it a test run. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

I've found that some rivers or still waters require line cleaning after each use.
chi flyfisher and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM

I'll try that. The river here is pretty dirty

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Swampdonkey has step 1 covered. Cleaning and then treating your line is the first thing I'd do too. Question: How did it perform the first 2 times out?

Shy of looking at a line that's better suited for warmer temps that's going to be your best bet. I know it's been hot here in PA for a while, but unless you can get mileage beyond warm temps with a different line, I'd probably hold off on a tropical line. However, a line like an SA Textured line or Ridge Line from Airflo might do a little better since there would be less surface touching the guides.

This thread might be worth a read:

Tropical Lines Question
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM

First 2 times was fine but that was before the heatwave. I had my 5w out the other day with new line on a hotter day with no issues.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I was going to ask about The Water conditions as sometimes you don't know what's on/in the water.
Cleaning should really help however be careful there's nothing in the water which will damage your Line as sticky substances are usually harmful to Fly Lines.
Brian.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on giving the line a good cleaning, but my 'call' is they sold you the wrong type of line from the 'git-go.' The coatings on tropical lines are very different than that used on a 'cold water' line.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM

I just got off the phone with Chris from Rio. I explained the situation and he's had similar experience with conditions in Wisconsin. He says that I have the wrong line for the job and recommends the Rio Tropical General Purpose fly line because the coatings are much different, however, since the line is designed to work between temps of 75-100 degrees we both agreed that an extra spool with a bass/muskie freshwater line may be an option for the spring and fall months.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...