The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road
Default Cool Water Trout Line for 5 wt. Sage XP?

I am interested in a heavier line for my Sage XP 5wt. I have a feeling that the rod would be happier with a heavier or even a 6wt. line. I was thinking SA GPX or similar.

Fishing on the 5wt. XP is all Spring & Summer in Colorado.

Please give me your thoughts.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool Water Trout Line for 5 wt. Sage XP?

SA GPX taper in a WF5F configuration.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

SA Mastery Textured WF 5 WT GPX
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Rio Gold 5wt on my 9'6" 5wt XP and I love it. Generates great line speed, shoots line amazingly, casts dries very accurately 40-50' also handles streamers quite well.

This is a new rod to me this spring. I was a pretty persistent "moderate" slow action rod guy, a Sage SLT 9' 4 wt being my rod of choice for the past 10 years or so. I say "was" because the XP has really opened my eyes. I took the SLT out for some small river fishing last weekend and I really had to readjust my expectation of the cast. I still love the slow cast and deep bending rod, but I now appreciate the accuracy and line control that a fast rod like the XP offers.

I think you would loose a lot of that by over lining to a 6 wt.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

On XP #5 I prefer RIO Gold or SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
On XP #5 I prefer RIO Gold or SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper.
Is there a reason the two above are better than a textured line? Just asking because I don't know.

I need to take a couple pics of the 2 lines I'm using and see if you guys can help me identify. I failed to put the stickers on the spools & lost track.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have no issue with the Mastery Textured or Airflo Ridge lines and love the SA Trout(Stalker) on my spring creek 4-weight (see review in the gear review section). However, I select a line to match a rod by correct loading weight and, especially, taper design. Both Gold & Expert Distance are extended head with elongated rear taper designs which are optimal for a powerful presentation rod like XP, Z-Axis and now ONE. They offer enhanced loop stability at distance and articulate presentation in close(ish) unlike GPX which hinges at distance and is clunky at more moderated distances. GPX is also nearly a full size heavy so at any distance it dulls tip response of the above rods which are all known for their classic Sage sharply responsive tips. Of course I am talking dry flies here...GPX, I assume, would be fine for bobber drifting. I wouldn't know about that.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Of course I am talking dry flies here...GPX, I assume, would be fine for bobber drifting. I wouldn't know about that.
Agree on the GPX for dry fly fishing. I use it only for multi nymph rigs and streamers. It's a lousy dry fly presentation line by all accounts. In those instances, I prefer the Mastery Trout Stalker line out now. That is one fine fly line and I use it on my 3 and 4 weights, which I use for almost all my dry fly fishing. I've never used the Expert Distance line. I might have to consider that line for one of my reels.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM

I forgot to mention I don't do much dry fly fishing - some drift, hopper/dropper, nymphing & the streamer (using a different rod)

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If I head out to dry fly fish I just take my 4wt and carry two rigs.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
I forgot to mention I don't do much dry fly fishing - some drift, hopper/dropper, nymphing & the streamer (using a different rod)

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If I head out to dry fly fish I just take my 4wt and carry two rigs.
I guess you never mentioned where you fish and the kind of fishing you do, that makes a difference.

So you want to use the XP 5wt more for just nymphing? In that case I cannot advise on the line differences, I'm the kind of fisherman that changes flies and approaches to suit the demands and conditions so many days I will high-stick with nymphs through pocket water, then switch to wets and dries when the fish begin to rise on calm water.

Like I mentioned above, I was pretty insistent about fishing only my "medium" action SLT 4 wt for dry fly fishing. I'm asking you now, don't shun that 5wt XP to only nymph fishing, you will be missing out!
chi flyfisher likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 07-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.