The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Overlining with Rio Grand or SA GPX

I like overlining, it suits my style better when using faster rods.

On my new 8wt setup I am considering overlining with Rio Grand or SA GPX. I know that these two lines are already a half weight heavier than normal lines..

Does anybody have some overlining experience with these two lines?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overlining with Rio Grand or SA GPX

The effect of overlining with either of these lines will vary. The rod that it will be matched with and the person's preferred stroke will be factors.

I accidentally grabbed my demo reel with a WF7F Grand, and cast it on 6 weight Scott S4. It felt like it slowed the rod down too much. My preference in a 5 weight rods and up are fast rods. I have a quick stroke, but I can adjust it when I need to.

With that said, it could work for you.

Just wondering. What do you intend to use that 8 weight for? What rod do you have? There could be another line that may work better for your application.

MP
Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I have a Redington Red.Fly2.
Redington Red.Fly2 review..

I was fishing for Pink Salmon.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The better line for that rod would be the Rio Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead line or the SA Mastery Steelhead taper. These have longer bellies that will allow you to roll cast or mend more efficiently. It will allow you to flip indicators more efficiently, too.

From what I have read, you like to slow the action down by overlining. If you want to overline, only go up by one line size.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I second Moscas line preference. The steel head line has worked very well fishing bigger water with indies. One line-up is perfect for that rod. Water load, roll cast, Snap tee.
Early this spring, I rolled Skwalla dries, all the way "over there", to risers on the Truckee.
When fishing across complex currents, it doesn't get sucked under water like the running body of a weight forward.
I camo my line with a magic marker for 6-8 ft., Day-glow has got to go!

Jim

Bigfly