The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fluorocarbon tippet - different than fluorocarbn line?

I've been using mono for tippet for many years. 2lb (.006") and 4lb (.007") fluorocarbon and 6lb (.009") to rebuild leaders 6/4/2/2. I don't think the brand name is important but you have to order it because you don't find 2lb and 4lb in stores that cater to the 10 and 20lb needs. Fly shops should be stocking light mono for tippet. The same price for 250 yards verses 15 yards should make people question this at the fly shops. It's not that it's cheap material it's that the fly fishing industry must think very highly of their profit margin on mono labeled tippet. The difference in quality for the ridiculous high price is 1.6lb (.001"), and maybe it's more subtle for that .001" but I doubt it. I can make mine more subtle by running it through my fingers.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There is a rule of thumb in equipment that says the further you get from the end of the cast, the less important the equipment is. OK, so I made up that rule but I think it is a good one. Fly -> leader -> fly line -> fly rod -> reel -> vest, wader, etc. The single exception is the skill of the fly fisher.

The weakest link that connects us to the fish is the tippet. It is not where I would choose to save a buck but everyone decides for themselves.
biggie_robs, duker and random user like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

I'm with silver creek on this one. If your having trouble getting strikes start be eliminating the variables. The first place I start is tippet. I'm always using flouro...so that solves that option. But, then I immediately drop to 6x. That will normally solve several issues....then I. Go from there.
I always use the same brand flouro throughout the leader system.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'll admit to feeling a little silly for not checking the diameter vs strength myself... do that anytime I'm trying to figure out what type of line to buy for a spinning or baitcaster, but didn't think to check different types of fluorocarbon.

My takeaway from all the different posts is that (like pretty much anything) the "right" answer depends on the fishing situation. For more difficult fishing situations with clear water and/or "smart" fish the premium for fluoro tippet should be the way to go. For other situations where a little larger diameter shouldn't matter as much due to dirty, fast water (spring steelhead fishing in this area comes to mind) a spool of fluoro "line" would be an good upgrade from mono tippet, but a better price than fluoro tippet. The same line could work when flyfishing for smallies.

My original question was prompted by a question from a friend I was helping prepare for an upcoming trip to MT with his family, none of whom have flyfished before. He has lots of fluoro line for walleye fishing here in MN, and it would be awfully expensive to buy a spool of fluoro tippet for himself and 3 sons, so they were going to use mono tippet. I wasn't sure what advice to give, but it seemed like the fluoro line would work, at least for nymphing.

I'm going to have to study Silver Creek's chart some next time it's time to restock on fluoro tippet!

Thanks again.
ryan
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to look at the chart above, save for two, all are out of Japan. Same maker?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the money chart, the best in test results of fluorocarbon and mono in knot strength.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Some freinds and I tested floro vs. mono on the South Platte (Dream Stream).
There were 3 of us, and we tried every type of test we could think of. The floro rigged rods caught more fish. Period.

This strech of river is a very heavily fished tailwater, btw.

CAB
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
I have yet to find a fluorocarbon line that has the same strength to diameter as tippet material. When you compare the same diameter of fluorocarbon line with fluorocarbon tippet, the tippet material is stronger. That means you can use a thinner tippet of the same strength and get a more supple tippet that will give a more natural drift.
If I believed the printed breaking strength on a tippet spool I might agree.

My experience with very "non-scientific" testing is that breaking strength of lines (within line type, e.g. not comparing fluoro to mono) is VERY, VERY dependent upon diameter -- I don't care what the print says.

I like limp mono like Maxima Green in the 0.007" diameter (4 pound test) -- limpness matters more to me than visibility. I think the fish can see everything you put out there, including fluoro. I use the 4 pound for bluegill and trout exclusively and catch plenty of fish.

I have some fluoro spools but I don't use it often because I can barely break it off when I get snagged on the bottom when using 8+ pound size. So yeah it is strong, but fairly stiff IME.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I buy Trilene Vanish fluorocarbon fishing line. I carry 2# 4# 6#... None of the trout here seem to mind... Even in the dead of winter.

I also use 10# and 14# for freshwater.

nice thing too is vanish comes in small 110yrd filler spools. Steal some hair ties from the gf and use them to keep my spools from unwinding. the filler spools are as wide as a tippet spool too
Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting thread. I learned quickly by other fly fishers that fluorocarbon was the way to go, because it's invisible to the fish. I fish saltwater for seatrouts.
What some people has tested and put results on a chart is a matter of trust. Have they been payed by the various companies? , have they tested the tippet the right way? Also what happens in a laboratory stays in the laboratory. It's a controlled environment and as some one else said, it's not fishing.

I use Photonic fluorocarbon tippet and Akron fluorocarbon tapered leader. It's expensive, but if I buy fluorocarbon I want the real thing, not the fakes.

Kim.