The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By fly_guy12955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Furled Leaders

I recently ordered a couple of furled leaders from CutThroat Leaders to try. Haven't had a chance to cast one but I noticed another post regarding furled leaders made by Joni. After checking out her site I am left wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to compare both products. From what I read here feedback from users of Joni's leaders is very positive as is the feedback on furled leaders in general. Has anyone done a comparison and want to share their results. The price of Joni's leaders is very reasonable.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furled Leaders

I've used furled leaders from Cutthroat, Joni, as well as a couple of other sources. Great products, I don't have complaints about any of them. I've never done a head-to-head; that is, cast a fly with one, switched it out and tried the same cast etc with a different brand, so I can't offer an objective comparison. Also, a few dollars difference isn't much with a product that can last so long. Cutthroat offers a wide range of leaders, their leaders are a great product, and they are a forum sponsor (supporting the forum I enjoy). I'm sure you'd be happy with either, but the above reasons point me to Cutthroat.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Iv'e used both with zero complaints. Joni did make me up one just like I wanted when I had a 'spur of the moment' idea..just a little different from the others,, to experiment with nymph fishing. Works like a champ too.

You can't go wrong with furled leaders,,best thing since shirt pockets.

Mike
fredaevans and troutnut4 like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, I hope to do some casting/fishing with these new leaders in the next few days. Might even improve my casting. I have heard they produce tighter loops.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Thanks guys, I hope to do some casting/fishing with these new leaders in the next few days. Might even improve my casting. I have heard they produce tighter loops.
Improved casting may have been an a bit too descriptive on my part. They do turn over so nice though. The material is so loose that you'll be able to tell the difference

I used one today on my 9w and started with streamers. After it was waterlogged I switched to a couple poppers and used the loon wax paste in it. Brought it back to float-mode in a snap!

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Todd, did you prep your leader before using it or not until it was waterlogged?
When I received my leaders I applied the paste to them. I am curious to see how long they will float before requiring another application.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I received my leaders I applied the paste to them. I am curious to see how long they will float before requiring another application.
Actually depends upon what the leader was made of from the 'git-go.' If made of 'regular' thread they will absorb water. If made from a 'man made material' it will 'hold water while on the water' but with the next cast all that's gone.

These things are the 'Cat's Meow' with a light 2 hander rod.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
I didn't pre treat them so they were completely wet when I applied the paste.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely treat the thread furled leaders prior to use. If I do that they'll float a long, long time, usually all day. If I get it water logged then treat it, it doesn't float as long.

As for how long it floats when I pretreat it... if I catch a lot of fish that pull it under water and keep it there for a bit that can cut down on the float time a bit, a problem I'm more than happy to put up with Also, I keep it off the ground since the paste will attract sand and dirt.

When it gets water logged, I dry it. Here in Colorado, it is usually so dry that it will dry while we walk or drive to the next fishing spot or I'll just drape it around my neck and swing streamers for a bit. I don't think I'll go back to tapered mono leaders.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I definitely recommend treating a dry leader with the paste floatant prior to getting the leader wet. It makes a substantial difference in how long and how high the leader will float. Paste on a wet leader does make it float, but not nearly as long as when applied to a dry leader. We often hear from customers that use all kinds of products to keep the leaders floating. I have heard, beeswax, waterproofing spays for tents / fabrics. There are many different manufactures that offer floatants for fly fishing. In our experience, the paste works the best as it adheres to the thread / grooves of the leader. We are always open to suggestions; I assume we will hear many of them from fellow forum members. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com