The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Leader Options for Technical Dry Fly Presentations

It is somewhat premature for me to address this ideal dry fly leader subject because my field test data is incomplete, but I will report on my observations up to this point.

I have used Orvis braided leaders dry fly trout fishing, modified to my specifications, for the past 27 years. Modified? I take a mid-sized (designated for #6/7 line weight) to mate with my #4 or 5 line, cut off its loop and Zap-A-Gap splice it to the tip of my line from which I have also severed the loop (if it came with one). Performing the "Parabolic Test"; grasping the line and leader butt equal distance, 4 or 5 inches, to either side of the splice, I bend the assembly into an inverted "U" shape. If the mass/stiffness of the line tip and leader butt form a smooth, uniformly symmetrical "U", an efficient, uninterrupted transfer of energy will be transmitted from your cast into your leader. This applies to ANY leader design: hand built Nylon or Fluorocarbon, knotless, poly-leader, braided or furled. If there is an interruption of energy transfer; the leader butt is too soft or small in diameter, you get the "George Harvey" leader effect; it automatically collapses in loose coils. If you want to control your leader and tippet and wiggle your own curves into it, there must be a seamless transfer of energy. One can achieve uniformity of energy transfer with a monofilament butt, approximately .022 thousandths of an inch for a 4 or 5-weight line, but Nylon of such a diameter has quite a bit of coiling memory which annoyingly effects accuracy negatively. It can be straightened and then a hand built leader with a steep taper works well. But both braided and furled leader butts enjoy an absence of memory so they can lay out limp. Can they, however, both lay out straight and, more importantly, provide the articulate control required for a technical dry fly presentation?

Click the image to open in full size.

For experimental control purposes, my West Coast fishing partner, a contest winning caster skilled with both single-handed trout and two-handed steelhead rods, and I each fished our Sage ONE 9’/#5 rods rigged with RIO Gold during our recent, month long Idaho/Montana adventure. His terminal tackle was a furled thread, dry fly leader with 5’ of 5X and mine was a braided butt with 0X mono nail knotted to its tip then built down to 5’ of 5X as well. In the above image I have striven to illustrate the “parabolic test” with looped and Albrighted Fluorocarbon, nail knotted monofilament and, at the bottom, spliced braided butt. I will try to photograph a looped furled leader latter to illustrate how the samples we had did not form a “U” but something more like and “L”. That is, the mass + softness of the butt end of the furled leader collapsed at the juncture at the tip of the fly line. On the water it was clearly observable that the braid layed out and behaved as an extension of the line’s taper while the furled leader collapsed softly in the direction of the wind representing a hinge rather than a turnover, indicating a poor transfer of energy. Once on the water though, my partner was skillfully capable of repositioning his leader, thus fly, into a trout’s feeding lane. The Sage ONE is among the most adroit at performing such on-water corrections due to its incomparably precise and sharply reflexed tip. But having your cast direct the tippet and fly accurately to where you want it to land gave the braided leader a substantial advantage. Frankly, though we did not include a properly matched and straightened, hand-built, Nylon monofilament leader in this comparison, my opinion based on experience is that it would have placed second.

Nothing is perfect and braids have several disadvantages. By virtue of being hollow, they can pick up water and spray it during casting. I am sure thread furled leaders, tough solid, absorb some water as well. Regardless of leader type, I am in the habit of casting away from my surface feeding fish not only to ameliorate water spray but any potential visual anomaly that might put the fish off his feed. Also braided butt leaders require a certain degree of angler craftsmanship in splicing, nail knotting, then blood knotting terminal sections and the rebuilding of these sections as the braid generally can last the 2 to 3 year lifespan of the fly line.

During our travels we visited Beartooth Outfitters on the Madison River. The proprietor, Dan, is a tackle guru and leader authority with three decades of experience in designing and building leaders. He makes his own design braided butts by splicing a loop in the braid at the line connecting end, dying the monofilament braided material a dull grey then bathing it in a solution to enhance its floatation and water repellency reducing the spray effect. He blood knots the tapered Fluorocarbon sections himself all winter long. A
true labor of dedicated love:

http://www.beartoothflyfishing.com/f...ders/index.htm

Returning from our trip, I did a little internet homework and found a commercial maker of furled leaders that eschews thread and utilizes monofilament. Further, he line-size rates his leaders up to and including saltwater sizes. Dan, at Beartooth, as well, fishes his braids for bonefish, a notion that never occurred to me. The furled mono gentleman specified that positive transfer of energy is an important aspect of his design. He is off “field testing” and, upon his return, promises to engage in a thorough dialog about the advantages of his design over not only other furled leaders but braids as well.

So, as with any great experiment, rather than a definitive conclusion, there are, instead, new questions. I will continue to pursue comparative analysis of dry fly optimized leader designs and update this report, I hope, soon.

What are your thoughts and experiences with presentation intended leader designs and materials?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leader Options for Technical Dry Fly Presentations

I don't have the level of experience (# of years) you have in FF but here are my observations / experiences,
Dry fly fishing:
1) Furled leaders: Work really well due to their lack of memory, can achieve perfect tight loops. Well designed furled leaders turn over long > 5ft of tippet. However, I always experienced the water spray effect despite proper treatment, so have moved on from these
2) Knotless leaders (Rio / Orvis): Work well & are very versatile but aren't perfect. Once can attach long tippet & butt sections to achieve "George Harvey leader" behavior. Recently tried the Rio Suppleflex leaders and they are very good for Dry fly presentations.
3) Maxima knotted leaders: Have been tinkering with various formulae that I have found on the web, have yet to find the best one...search continues. A couple of months ago I found a gentleman who makes his own Maxima knotted leaders, these deliver the best performance for my needs / cast: Stiff butt section that prevents casting knots (if I rush a cast) but also allows the lower mid and tippet sections to fall in curves. So, when I cast them the butt and mid section lay out in a straight line but the lower mid + tippet section land in nice soft curves. In my opinion these leaders are the best I have fished and will be my first choice going forward.

Nymph Fishing:
I like the Gary Borger Uni leader very much (look up his website for the formula). I have modified it very slightly by incorporating a sighter in the 1' section. This allows me to fish w/o a indicator on skinny water.

I haven't tried too many variations to attach the leader to the fly line. I usually tie a very small perfection loop, which is not the best for conservation of energy.
dillon likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I continue to experiment with braided, furled and nylon leaders for dry fly trout fishing. I find them all useful depending on the desired presentation and other related conditions. I am currently using a thread furled leader for presenting waking and skating patterens for summer steelhead. The leader is 10 ft and I add 5 to 8 ft of tippet. I grease the furled leader with a silicone based flotant. So far, I have been pleased with the results. The Maxima leader sounds interesting. I did meet an angler on stream this summer that was using one on his fine bamboo rod. He was using the dark chamelon for his butt sections. I suppose because it has the most stiffness in the Maxima leader line up.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 AM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

I routinely use 18 foot leaders as my standard set up...ending with 6x Rio fluoro as my primary terminal tackle. I fish some technical water on the Farmington and Upper Delaware Rivers in Ct. and NY. I'll take a standard Rio Knotless Tapered MONO leader tapered to 3x...add a tippet ring...and then add 4x mono, 5x mono and ultimately 6x fluoro. All I can say is it seems to work well for me. That being said I like reading posts about leaders....in my humble opinion the most IMPORTANT piece of tackle that determines success rate
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 AM

left field is on a distinguished road

Walter, how do you self net a big Brown on the W/E B with an 18' leader?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

Left field.......its not easy - that is for sure. I've gotten into the habit of starting to beach (ie: leading the dog to shore) some of the bigger ones (when possible.) Also.....having a friend assist when possible doesn't hurt either. That being said....outstretched arms are definitely in play. An frankly....many times I lose them. Such was the case during the Hendrickson hatch this year....even with a friend doing the netting I (we) lost my biggest fish of the season. If you are questioning my leader length as being too long.....I would simply query back "how do you even hook into a big Delaware Brown in the first place using a short leader" ?? Unless you are fishing fast broken water....or night fishing?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM

left field is on a distinguished road

Fast broken water ... night fishing ... AK47.

Just curious. Only fished the EB once so I understand the challenge. I find a 9' leader with 3' of tippet challenging enough to self land without pulling a little leader into the guides. Short arms I guess.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
I routinely use 18 foot leaders as my standard set up...ending with 6x Rio fluoro as my primary terminal tackle. I fish some technical water on the Farmington and Upper Delaware Rivers in Ct. and NY. I'll take a standard Rio Knotless Tapered MONO leader tapered to 3x...add a tippet ring...and then add 4x mono, 5x mono and ultimately 6x fluoro. All I can say is it seems to work well for me. That being said I like reading posts about leaders....in my humble opinion the most IMPORTANT piece of tackle that determines success rate
What knot do you use to attach the 6x fluoro to mono? I've had terrible luck with knots in fine fluorocarbon in the past. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 AM

I use the triple surgeons knot seems to work for me make sure as with all knots you wet it and slowly tighten it and testing it doesn't hurt either
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Triple surgeons or a 5 or 6 turn blood knot works well for attaching fluoro to Nylon. Like he said...make sure you wet the line and pull slowly but steadily.