The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turbineblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Backing help.

I got a sweet deal on a 5wt Loomis GL3 and a Pfleugar reel off of Ebay. I need another #5 like I need a hole in the head, but for $125 shipped? I couldn't say no. (A friend watched me in a fly shop once and told me its a good thing I'm not a girl or I'd have been knocked up at 15. He wasn't wrong.). Anway I have a spool of #5 Rio WF line to put on the thing, but I haven't bought backing in years. Its a five weight. I'll be using it mostly on bass and bluegills, with the occasional foray into the salt for snappers and sheepshead and the like. I doubt I'll ever see the backing. So I don't want to go nuts here. Any thoughts on a good middle of the road option?
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backing help.

Are you asking if you need backing? If so, backing does at least three things.

1. Takes up room on the spool which means when you reel in the line you take up more line for each rotation of the handle.
2. Takes up room on the spool which keeps the fly line from being wound in such narrow coils, helping avoid memory in the line.
3. Gives extra length to you longer line when a fish runs, for the fishing many/most of us do this is an irrelevant feature.

If backing only served purpose #3 I wouldn't care about having it on most of my reels.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

You have 3 options I believe. Gel spun, braided Dacron, or some of the Dyneema/Spectra fiber lines. Dacron will be the least costly.

There could be advantages to using the others, they're generally thinner diameter with high strength, but IMO, for general use, as you've stated where you're not worried about space or getting into the backing very often if any, then there's little need for anything other than Dacron.

With that said, I have either 20 or 30 lb Cortland Micron & Scientific Anglers Dacron backing on a few reels, and regular Dacron line as backing on other reels. The regular Dacron, is probably slightly larger diameter, but for my purposes (bass, panfish, Stripers, Bluefish, possibly redfish, seatrout, flounder etc.) has not made any difference what so ever. I picked up a 1500 yard spool of 30 lb Cortland braided Dacron awhile back & that's what I use on my 8 to 10 wt reels.

BTW, I put some of the same on some Penn baitcaster reels I use for trolling & bottom fishing, so the quantity was not purchased simply for fly reels.

For a 5 wt, 20 lb is plenty, or even 15-16 lb should be OK. Decide how much you need & compare prices. No need to spend a fortune for the type of application you intend.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Are you asking if you need backing? If so, backing does at least three things.

1. Takes up room on the spool which means when you reel in the line you take up more line for each rotation of the handle.
2. Takes up room on the spool which keeps the fly line from being wound in such narrow coils, helping avoid memory in the line.
3. Gives extra length to you longer line when a fish runs, for the fishing many/most of us do this is an irrelevant feature.

If backing only served purpose #3 I wouldn't care about having it on most of my reels.
Sorry, I might have been unclear in my post, as I do tend to ramble a bit, but that wasn't the question (my bad). I know I need it. The line that came on the reel didn't have any and it was a kinky balled up mess as a result. I know I need it as filler on the spool, but odds are that will be all it ever does (of course I'll probably hook the snook of a life time on the first cast and get spooled just for saying that). What I want to know is what brands and weights folks would recommend for a good inexpensive backing.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I use the 30 lb dacron because it's thicker and takes less to fill the spool.

I don't care about backing for anything other than taking up space, like the guy above mentioned.
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
like the guy above mentioned.
Is that like being the man upstairs?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Or "men" upstairs if you're Hindu I suppose .

No delusions of grandeur for you!