The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By throssing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will this line work with this rod?

I am currently throwing 6 wt Rio Indicator line on my Scott 5 wt. Buying a 10' 6 wt is in my near future, so here is my question. With the 6 wt being a ten footer, will it act more like a 7 weight, or will I be able to use the 6 wt indicator line on the 10 footer? If it helps any, I am planning on getting the Allen Xa 10' 6 wt.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Will this line work with this rod?

Well, all things being equal, a longer rod should load more easily than a shorter rod... it's a longer lever so there should be more energy in the system with a given line weight. That being said, it will depend more on the specific build characteristics of the Xa than the length itself. I'm not super familiar with any of the Allen rods, but I'm sure there's somebody out there with a more informed opinion of whether the Xa likes to be uplined. My suspicion is that the line you have will be just fine,
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak to that specific rod but I do have a 7100 rod and use the Rio Indicator line on it. Those lines are pretty heavy on grains, good for multiple flies and Indy nymphing so even if the rod acted like a 7 as opposed to a 6, I'd have to believe you'd be OK.

Send Allen a note and ask them if they have line recommendations. If it were me, I'd just try it and see how YOU think it matches up. Worst case scenario, you use that same line on your 5 as you've been doing and get another line for your 6. My guess is you will be OK with it.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

There's only one way to tell if the line will work with the rod: try the line with the rod. I suspect you will be fine, but a lot depends on your personal preferences.
turbineblade likes this.