The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie: Budget lines, half-weight lines, off-brands, etc.

Hi Greg,
Give Liz or Don at Angler's Edge in Gardnerville a call. Ask them if they have any closeout lines or what they would recommend for an inexpensive option. They have been in the business for a number of years and are good resources.

Dennis
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info Mosca. One of my coworkers told me about them but I rarely head that direction. May be time for a special trip down.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Newbie........I am as conservative as anyone else........with a daughter in college, I have to be.......but I want you to consider the cost of a flyline vs. the years you will use it.........good lines will last and perform..........cheap lines will last a few trips until you throw them in the trash.........I never skimp on flylines.......I skimped once and only once....and will never again....my two cents.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
......but I want you to consider the cost of a flyline vs. the years you will use it.........good lines will last and perform..........cheap lines will last a few trips until you throw them in the trash.........
I have a $15 private label line on one of my reels that's over 30 years old. I bought it in 1982
I haven't used that reel in a while, but that line has not one crack in it. Not one.
Don't expect expensive lines to last longer just because they cost more.
That's not how it works.
I have at least 9 lines that were $10 or less..... no issues in both fresh and salt water. Some after at least 10 years
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a $15 private label line on one of my reels that's over 30 years old. I bought it in 1982
I haven't used that reel in a while, but that line has not one crack in it. Not one.
Don't expect expensive lines to last longer just because they cost more.
That's not how it works.
I have at least 9 lines that were $10 or less..... no issues in both fresh and salt water. Some after at least 10 years
Any line will last a long time if it's not being used....(your words).......I will agree to that!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Any line will last a long time if it's not being used....(your words).......I will agree to that!!
Don't imagine that I don't use my lines or misinterpret what I have to say.

That $15 4wt line that I bought in 1982 was fished hard for many years and was my most used trout line until around 1996.
There's also a 6WF that was used regularly since about that time, and a few saltwater intermediate lines and bass tapers nearly that old.
Just because you don't have experience with value lines doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. You shouldn't believe and repeat everything that you read on the internet.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Don't imagine that I don't use my lines or misinterpret what I have to say.

That $15 4wt line that I bought in 1982 was fished hard for many years and was my most used trout line until around 1996.
There's also a 6WF that was used regularly since about that time, and a few saltwater intermediate lines and bass tapers nearly that old.
Just because you don't have experience with value lines doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. You shouldn't believe and repeat everything that you read on the internet.
OK...........thanks for the tip..........Have a great day Rip..........

Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I've used expensive lines ($60 and up) but have found bargain lines ($20 or so) do just as well. At least I don't notice a difference or catch more fish with them. Either I'm really good or I'm consistently really bad.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Here's another source for value ($15) lines -

global dorbeR group

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm limited to a few cheap lines in my time. And Aquanova lines seem to be worth every penny and then some. I have one that's been going longer than any of the top fly lines on the market I've bought.