The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie: Budget lines, half-weight lines, off-brands, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I'm limited to a few cheap lines in my time. And Aquanova lines seem to be worth every penny and then some. I have one that's been going longer than any of the top fly lines on the market I've bought.
Me to... here is their "non storefront" page just for some additional info. If I had a choice it wouldn't be the bright orange color for their WF floating line, but then again when dusk comes and the water turns dark its not such a bad thing either. Chartreuse is listed as a color option, but when it comes to checkout, it hasn't been an option.

Northern Sport Fishing Custom Manufactured Fly Lines

AquaNova - Northern Sport Fishing

but to purchase you have to go to the link that pszy22 posted:

http://www.dorber.com/flylinesub.html
Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info guys. Basically, what I am trying to get at here is that there ARE options out there that will perform as well as the higher dollar lines but may not last as long (or sometimes longer). I am a person that does my research (an inherent nature) and looks for the best bang for the buck. This weekend I tested out my new reel with the Cabela's Prestige Premiere line and it cast very well, tip did not sink and did everything I asked it to. For the $39.99 I got it for I am impressed and will attempt to take care of the line so that it lasts.

The other purpose was to see that if a line is taken care of, whether expensive or not, it CAN last for quite some time. This then shows that there is no standard interval to replacing lines (i.e. like car tires that have a specific mileage warranty).
Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

You'll be surprised by support that is behind some of these lines. I bought a sa pike/muskie line via the auction site once.. the line was cracked in a matter of days.. line was brand new.. albeit old stock.. and SA replaced the line... Just had to send it in.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Ok i can't believe no one has mentioned Allen Fly Lines.I just bought one for 43.00 shipped and i love this line it's an ATS.Has a low memory and is very slick.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

When talking budget fly line I think anything I can get for about $25 and under... $43.. not so budget minded more just middle of the road. Who makes their fly lines anyone know?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
When talking budget fly line I think anything I can get for about $25 and under... $43.. not so budget minded more just middle of the road. Who makes their fly lines anyone know?
Right... their compass fly line (or whatever their other one is) would fall into that range. Now sales items are always awesome (like I said, got the Cabela's Prestige Premiere for $39.99 on sale which I believe is the Cortland 444SL) but that is something that is not the norm, with the exception of somewhere like SierraTradingPost.

So to put a standard "monetary" number to this "budget line" let's call that anything that is standard under $30, or at least can easily be found under that price. (And I am using Full Float, Weight Forward, Freshwater, 5wt as my search)

From what I have found so far, that would include:
- Hook N Hackle Classic High Float @ $25
- Cortland 333 "Rocket Taper" @~$30 (found for anywhere from $25 to $31)
- Allen Fishing Compass @ $30
- Iridieus Trout Series Trout Bum @ $19 (ebay line)
- Scientific Anglers Aircel @ $28

I know there are others out there but that is just a "starter" list.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The Allen ATS line is a deal at 40 bucks. I have some on my backup 3wt and its so good I would be tempted to switch it over to my main 3wt. its smooth and casts wonderfully.

I used to use all the Cabela's branded line, no more will I go down that road. Once you get a nice mid entry line or a high end you can tell a huge difference between the two.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
The Allen ATS line is a deal at 40 bucks. I have some on my backup 3wt and its so good I would be tempted to switch it over to my main 3wt. its smooth and casts wonderfully.

I used to use all the Cabela's branded line, no more will I go down that road. Once you get a nice mid entry line or a high end you can tell a huge difference between the two.
Mind explaining your experience and why you have come to that conclusion?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Barrio lines from Scotland are available within your budget. I ordered a DT5F and it is very nice. Compares most favorably to Cortland's Sylk line. Google 'em.
caseywise likes this.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i bought some fenwick lines awhile back on the big auction site
awhile back that are very nice. profile if i remember right.
great lines for the coin.
i sold all but 2 of them (that i kept).

casey

ARFE