The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newbie: Budget lines, half-weight lines, off-brands, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
Mind explaining your experience and why you have come to that conclusion?
Sure. When I first got back into flyfishing the second time around, I started picking up more rods, which meant reels and line. Well being in college and having part time jobs meant budget was low, and the cabelas branded line fit the bill. it floats well, its casts well and i had no issues with it. I went on happy for many years that way.

When I put on my big boy pants and bought a high end rod, i decided I had to pair it with a high end rod, it was the "right" thing to do. So i loaded it with GPX and was absolutly amazed at how alive the rod felt and how easy casting was. I thought this is just the witchcraft in play with the high end rod.

When I upgraded my 8wt,i put my cabelas line on and was again mostly happy. Then I happened to stumble upon matching line for it on clearance, some of the expensive sage line made by rio. The rod completely changed. casting was nicer, line is slicker feeling in my hands, and i easily gained more distance in the cast. Since then I have been switching over to the higher end lines and to me, with my casting style and selection of rods I own, the more expensive lines made a big enough difference to me to switch them all over.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info stl_geoff. If I ever get the chance I will pick up some high-end line. From what I have read the Prestige Premiere is supposedly the Cortland 444+, which I believe is their higher-end line.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

The expensive lines can be great, so can the inexpensive ones.

To be honest, I have several rio lines of various price ranges. These lines I have do not always make it on to my favorite setups. They often do but not always!

I know I have stated this opinion before, and understand that others may not share it. But when it comes to lines, My personnel opinion is that I believe its true casting weight influences its ability to provide an enjoyable cast more than anything else.

I've experimented with this a lot. I have more lines than I care to admit, many have come used on 2nd hand reels.

I weigh them, enter them into a data base... Then when I find myself with a new rod, I fish the line that feels best regardless of cost. Often times the results will surprise me.

When you match up a specific rod, line, and your own personnel casting stroke, it all fits together. You will just know when its a match.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

The unfortunate consequence in fly fishing, is until you experiment, you will never really find the setup that fits you the best. You can get yourself great suggestions, but those suggestions most likely come from entirely different circumstances.

I believe the matching of any given line to a rod is a personnel experience to an individuals setup / preferences / Casting stroke / and surroundings.

If you primarily fish in a small stream, your not going to want the same line on the same setup as a guy who casts out greater distances.

Even if you were casting the same distance with the same rod, I honestly don't think the two of you would always agree on the same line.

When picking a line, try everything that is available to you, (Take the time to weight them), Keep you own measurments, Then fish whatever matches your own preferences the best!

The only positive I have to offer, is that with more trial and error, you will identify the line you really want matched up, much quicker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some guys just purchase for arguments sake, (lets say a 6wt rod, then match it up with a 6wt appropriate reel, maybe read some on-line reviews, then ultimately pick up a 6wt line). The end result is there truly happy with this setup, but honestly those guys who do this have absolutely no idea how enjoyable casting a fly rod should be!

Last edited by charged; 09-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:02 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a $15 private label line on one of my reels that's over 30 years old. I bought it in 1982
I haven't used that reel in a while, but that line has not one crack in it. Not one.
Don't expect expensive lines to last longer just because they cost more.
That's not how it works.
I have at least 9 lines that were $10 or less..... no issues in both fresh and salt water. Some after at least 10 years
I second that.
I have several CortlNd lines I bought 40 years ago, still good shape.
I've never any of the new high dollar fly lines so I can't compare .
right now there are some $10.95 lines one fleabay I'm seriously considering trying.

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Sure. When I first got back into flyfishing the second time around, I started picking up more rods, which meant reels and line. Well being in college and having part time jobs meant budget was low, and the cabelas branded line fit the bill. it floats well, its casts well and i had no issues with it. I went on happy for many years that way.

When I put on my big boy pants and bought a high end rod, i decided I had to pair it with a high end rod, it was the "right" thing to do. So i loaded it with GPX and was absolutly amazed at how alive the rod felt and how easy casting was. I thought this is just the witchcraft in play with the high end rod.

When I upgraded my 8wt,i put my cabelas line on and was again mostly happy. Then I happened to stumble upon matching line for it on clearance, some of the expensive sage line made by rio. The rod completely changed. casting was nicer, line is slicker feeling in my hands, and i easily gained more distance in the cast. Since then I have been switching over to the higher end lines and to me, with my casting style and selection of rods I own, the more expensive lines made a big enough difference to me to switch them all over.
+1. I've fished $15 lines and $80 lines. The great majority of the time the high dollar lines out fish the low dollar ones IMO. It's all in what you want out of your rig. Think of it this way, how much time do you spend on the water? If you fish 1 day a month, by all means purchase an economy line, but if you live on the water like i do, the top end lines more than pay for themselves. I don't want some of the headaches associated with economy lines. I don't want to sound like a snob here, but in this day and age, you usually get exactly what you pay for. I am a loyal H&H customer and about a month ago i picked up a 7 wt WF line on sale for my buddy for Steelhead season. Got it on his reel, tied a loop on it for him (not a deal breaker for me) and we went fishing. Sometime mid morning i gave him my rod to rebuild his leader. After getting it setup, i fished his rig. When i did my first cast with his rig i thought something was wrong because the line didn't shoot for ****. I checked everything over, it looked ok, back to fishing. Same result. I was highly disappointed to say the least. I wasn't expecting miracles, but i thought that line would represent itself a bit better. This on a medium action rod. Lesson learned. By the way, my buddy didn't want to give my rig back! He couldn't believe how much easier it was to fish. That made him a believer. To each his own, but for my money i'll dish out the nickles for premium line every time. Tight Lines, Jeff.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

See now that I do understand. I have been fishing on my backup rod the last month because on my first outing to a freestone stream, you guessed it, I feel and busted the tip off my Redington CT! This had the Cabela's Prestige Premiere Plus on it which I thought was a decent line.
My backup rod is my Redington Crosswater with a Crosswater reel. The line on it was utter **** so I replaced it with a Cabela's Prestige Premiere line (not the plus) and started fishing that. Since I have been mostly nymphing I do not have to cast much so never got a true evaluation of what the line was like. That was until this last weekend. I went to my normal spot and found an area that the top water seemed to be being worked by a few fish. Changed over to a dry fly and tried casting the line out. I was still able to cast the line out but until it got adequately wet it felt like it was grabbing on the eyelets (like casting sandpaper). So I will be changing back to my other reel and testing as soon as I can to see if the Cabela's Plus is any better. If not, then I guess I am going to have to spend the money on something more expensive, Rio, SA, or maybe wait for some deals from Orvis.