Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weighing fly lines.....

This Winter I would like to experiment with cutting and splicing fly lines to create my own custom tips. For those of you that do this or have weighed fly lines to find out what they are......can you please recommend a good scale for the job?

Thanks.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Weighing fly lines.....

I use the heck out of this baby... It weighs grams, grains and has fly line weights marked on it. I put 30' worth of fly line loops in a tiny slip of paper I put in the attached clamp and away I go. When it doubt about the weight of new lines or friends lines it's always right there in my casting reel case.
I like being able to calibrate it myself too.

Must-Have Gear: Umpqua Fly Line Scale | MidCurrent
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

The Umqua Fly Line Scale is not on the market anymore as far as I know.

I use a digital pocket scale. There are plenty of these scales around for about $10 bucks. Most have a tare weight function which allows you to put a container on the scale, zero it out, and put your 30 ft. on line in the container and weigh just the line. I use a soup bowl. Get a scale with a calibrating weight to assure you are being accurate. Search e-bay.

You might as well get a micrometer too. I have one I bought from Harbor Freight for $20 bucks that has a digital readout. Nice feature if you aren't up on reading thousands of an inch on the machinist scale. Search e-bay.

You could also go to the Common Sense System website if you are into making your own gadgets. He does homemade balance scales and shows you how to make it.

Good luck and Happy Tinkering!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

If you are a reloader then you have a great scale that already measures in grains.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up buying a Cen-Tech scale today, along with a heat gun & attachments, and some shrink tube. Gonna tinker today with an old 8wt DT line to see if I can come up with a useable tapered spey head for my 4wt Decho.

Thanks for the info guys.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I ended up buying a Cen-Tech scale today, along with a heat gun & attachments, and some shrink tube. Gonna tinker today with an old 8wt DT line to see if I can come up with a useable tapered spey head for my 4wt Decho.

Thanks for the info guys.
Sounds like you may have been shopping at the Red Shed?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

No, not the Red Shed. I went way "uptown" and visited my local Harbor Freight store.

I had to use black heat shrink tubing because no stores were open that carry the clear stuff, seemed to work ok, but it's tough guessing the right temp when you can't see if the coating has melted or not, don't want to overheat for fear of melting the core material or overheating the coating and causing it to get brittle and crack.

I'll be hunting down some clear heat shrink tomorrow.

Last edited by fysh; 09-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh. Poppy has a bunch of stuff that you mentioned, that's why I'd thought you had picked it up there. He's got the clear tubing you're looking for along with a bunch of other great stuff. If you're into spey, you owe it to yourself to have a look at his wares. Super guy to deal with, I've called him to talk about lines. Super laid back and very knowledgable. I can't believe how fast he ships either.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Poppy is a good Dude!

Bought a bit o' stuff from the Red Shed over the last few years. One of these days we'll make it up and fish his water.
jaybo41 likes this.