Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Line ratings, I don't get it.

The AFTM or AFFTA system assume that you maximum cast 30' of the head. Even though many heads exceed 30'. Someone like me who fish closer to 40' heads can't use it to anything. It says 6wt on my rod, but if I fish a 6wt line the manufacturer seems to suggest that I only cast 30' of the head. It's ridiculous!
If I stick to the AFTM or the AFFTA weights I wouldn't feel my rod load. 10gram or a little more would not even bend the tip. Exaggerated I know, but not far from truth.

Kim.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line ratings, I don't get it.

I understand your frustration. However........

Something I learned in debating an issue is to never criticize without having something better to suggest. So as my professor would ask, "What system would you propose, and how would it address the problems you see, and how would you implement it?

Historically, the 30 feet of fly line was chosen because of Snell's Window. The optics of the window are such that an angler casting 30 feet of fly line can stay under the 10 degree line of the window and not be seen. So early fly fishing books cautioned fishers to stay 30 feet way from a rising fish.

Everything below 10 degrees is compressing into the margin of the window cannot be recognized.

"Snell's window compresses a 180° angle of view above water to a 97° angle of view below water... The brightness of this image falls off to nothing at the circumference/horizon..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_window
MAD777 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 09-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
It says 6wt on my rod, but if I fish a 6wt line the manufacturer seems to suggest that I only cast 30' of the head. It's ridiculous!....

If I stick to the AFTM or the AFFTA weights I wouldn't feel my rod load,
Kim.
Hi Kim,

Here’s the question. Is that the fault of the line standardization system or rather the maker of your rod and their rod weight designations ?

Maybe your six is really a 6.5, 7, 7.5 or an 8 !

TT
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

At some point the 30 foot did have some point, but suspect that went down the drain with the plastic fly lines. That said the standard stuck so there would so common ground between manufactures. As you noted (especially with double taper lines) the more you get in the air the heavier the line becomes. Remember reading (somewhere) that an extra 10 of line raises the 'total line' weight by approximately one.

You really want line confusion, bring spey rod lines into the mix. These are not even described as a 3w, 6wt, what-ever as they're usually 'multi-weight (3/4/5, 7/8/9 etc). They're described by the number of 'grains' in what ever length the head may be.

A 540 grain head could be as short as 18 feet or upwards to 40. 2handers will usually have a line weight printed on same, but its just a loose guide. Its the 'grain range' that counts.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Head weight and nothing else. Not for 30,15 or any limited length, but the whole length of the head. And let's come up with what weight is 1wt and so on up. That way you can take any line and just by looking at the weight of the head determine if it's for your rod. It won't mean that you don't have to try it before you buy it if that's possible. Different lines for different people.

Kim.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi Kim,

Here’s the question. Is that the fault of the line standardization system or rather the maker of your rod and their rod weight designations ?

TT
Missed TT's comment as I was posting at the same time. As you didn't post what rod make and length tough to make a line call. That said, go to RIO and AirFlo's web sites. Both list a ton of rods and their line recommendation(s) for same.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
That said, go to RIO and AirFlo's web sites. Both list a ton of rods and their line recommendation(s) for same.
Where? Don't see any rods on Rios site?

Kim.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi Kim,

TT
Don't know.

Kim.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Kim, I think this is the RIO link for one hander rods. (PDF format)

Fly Fishing Gear Selector | RIO

No near as extensive as the 2hander rod break down; I think Simon G's listed just about every one of those rods ever built.

Airflo really doesn''t have much info on their site, but there is a contact 'click here' where you can drop Steve a note and run the question by him. He will (like us) need specific info on your rod so include that in your e-mail.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/ridge_clear.php

Bye the bye you STILL haven't told us what you have a rod.

Last edited by fredaevans; 09-02-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM

My rods are Sage One 691 and TCX 790 but I don't think it matters for the thread? Line ratings are still messed up.

The link to RIO is their line selector.

Kim.