The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nymphing Line?

I spoke with Jay at Rio... good guy.

I explained the rods I have and what I want to do with them especially being more general purpose.

The 4w he did not recommend any nymph line because theirs and SA's is basically 2 line weights over. Rio Gold is 1/4 over and that is what he recommended for the 4w which will still allow me to throw some heavier tandem rigs. I don't use bobbers or indicators so that sounded reasonable. Flipping over to streamers or emergers shouldn't be a problem.

The 6w, he said should be fine with the nymph line but still won't be as versitile. He didn't recommend the grand either. I want the 6w for early season nymphing and random streamer activity as well as possibly something for trips to go after larger species. If not staying with the nymph line he did recommend the Rio Perception because it's 1/2 line size heavier (200g head weight). Apparently the sensitivity of the line will offer good strike detection without an indicator and will very easily be able to flip over to any style of fishing without an over abundant head slamming the water.

I have the Perception on my 5w and do like it so I may switch over. Luckily the place I ordered from offers an exchange or swap out within 90 days. I didn't spool them yet so it shouldn't be a problem.
jaybo41 and williamhj like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Great information Todd! It's always beneficial to make that call to the manufacturer. I've been intrigued by the Perception line and it's great to know that it too is 1/2 line over as is the Gold. I have Gold spooled up and use it on several fly rods. I love that line and am pleased to hear it hasn't changed other than the technologies. It's a real gem in their lineup if you ask me. Airflo lines are similar in that they are low stretch and use PU as opposed to PVC as a coating. I got turned on to their lines and since then they've become a favorite.

What's also interesting is that the comments you got from Rio sort of paralleled my experience with the line. It's more of a niche use which is OK if that's how you're fishing. Other lines are going to offer greater versatility though.

Now all this said, I'm pretty sure that they wold advise against the nymph/indicator line I have rigged up on my 7wt but I've found it to work just fine for turning over indicators and double nymphs. We all have opinions I suppose
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I thought that since he did say that the 6w would be fine with the SA nymph that he would also recommend the Grand. I was kinda surprized at the Perception recommendation but I didnt realize it was half over sized.

I am intrigued by the airflo product but find it harder to select a line with them. I even thought of them today as I was fishing dries upstream. Their clear flyline is genius.
jaybo41 likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi William,

If you currently have lines on reels that you can try on the rod I would do that. I wouldn't worry too much about whether I had a dry or a nymph on the rod I would simply go cast the lines I had and find which loads and casts well.

I use the same lines (most are Scientific Angler Mastery DT) for whatever I am casting. From dry flies to large feather wing streamers or heavy Pike flies the only thing I change is my leaders. The lines work the same regardless of what I have on the terminal end. What you find is that you just apply a bit more speed to the lift when you have a heavier or more resistant fly or rigging on the end of the line.

By now you may have figured out that I don't spend a lot of time pondering the fine points of current tackle tuning or splitting hairs over the details. Honestly I believe that once you have a fly line that loads and shoots well it really doesn't matter whether you fish wet or dry with that line. You just change the leaders to suit and keep the line well dressed so it floats high.

Ard
dean_mt likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Todd, thanks for the info! Great you talked to the folks at Rio, I noticed the Perception is more than the Grand though, not much but still

Ard, I'm going to start with my current 4wts. I have a Hardy Marksman that has some miles on it and also a Sylk for my 4wt bamboo rod. I'll try them both. This rod (fast action and application) is different than my slower graphite and bamboo that I thought it worth seeing of a different line would work better. Hopefully I'll find out the marksman does the trick.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In my mind, a fast rod means long casting. Slow rods = graceful close range work and can handle distances to a degree. I fished the past few days with a stiff 7 weight using a SA 7 weight DT. With that I threw 4" sculpins with a Fish Skull head on them from 15' to 60' with no worries over what the line was....................... I just adapt the cast strok to suit the situation.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi William,

If you currently have lines on reels that you can try on the rod I would do that. I wouldn't worry too much about whether I had a dry or a nymph on the rod I would simply go cast the lines I had and find which loads and casts well.

I use the same lines (most are Scientific Angler Mastery DT) for whatever I am casting. From dry flies to large feather wing streamers or heavy Pike flies the only thing I change is my leaders. The lines work the same regardless of what I have on the terminal end. What you find is that you just apply a bit more speed to the lift when you have a heavier or more resistant fly or rigging on the end of the line.

By now you may have figured out that I don't spend a lot of time pondering the fine points of current tackle tuning or splitting hairs over the details. Honestly I believe that once you have a fly line that loads and shoots well it really doesn't matter whether you fish wet or dry with that line. You just change the leaders to suit and keep the line well dressed so it floats high.

Ard
Great points! Overall, I think there's too many lines on the market. 15 years ago when I started this addiction, selecting a line was a no brainer. Now through the niche products you also have to look at the make up of every line down to general purpose because of them adding size to it which I don't fully understand but glad there's a crew here to learn from.
I had double taper on my 5w for years and just never really got the knack of it to be well enough rounded like on a wf line.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Oh man if I were you I would go ahead and get myself that new airflo super-dri mend line. The color is extreme however, it comes in "hot coral" as airflo calls it, its an insanely bright orange.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a good idea to build an '8' and call it a '7' really has me scratching my head. Like what's the point? You want to over line your rod, just get a higher line weight. But if you have a 7wt rod and you buy a line that's "missed marked" from the get-go do you end up with a nine?

That's one of the things I like about the main line 2hand builders, the rods come with a 'grain range' and then its just a choice of how you want to load the rod. Smaller flies, the lower end ... chuck dead birds the upper end.