The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Nymphing Line? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/330200-nymphing-line.html)

williamhj 09-03-2013 10:10 PM

Nymphing Line?

I'm finishing a 10' 4wt Quickline rod that is listed as 'fast action'. Primarily I'll use it for nymphing, so less line out the tip, both for tiny nymphs and also casting heavier nymph rigs. I'll also want to be able to switch over to dries should the hatch begin, even if it isn't the best rod for that job :) I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the blank, or with a similar rod, and has suggestions for fly lines?

I know I could probably use any old WF or DT floating line, but I'm wondering if there is one that would fit this kind of rod well.

river right 09-04-2013 05:29 AM

Re: Nymphing Line?

I have the rio indicator line and I love it, I use it for exactly what you described, from dries to tight line nymphing and throwing a indictor. I have a TFO BVK 10' 5weight and that's a fast-ish action rod. I use the 6 weight verson of that line. I hope this helps :)

enolaeagle 09-04-2013 08:45 AM

I was having the same decision dilemma with line for 2 nymphing sticks. The 6w I got has the SA textured nymph line and I'm having a custom 4w built. For the 4w, I was undecided for line and was going to get the rio gold to be more versitile but I do like the textured lines so I got the same line ilo the heavier head weight. I figured between 10-12 feet of leader and tippet I figure 8f I really wanted to throw a dry fly with a dropper, that'd be no problem.

This week Joni is making up 2 leaders that she's piloting that are 7ft long for a little thicker mid section of the leader which should accelerate the presentation with the fast action rod. She's the boss so (between her and my wife...) I listen. :D

williamhj 09-04-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've actually been eyeing the Rio Indicator as well as the Rio Grand lines so it is great to hear some feedback on the indicator line. I tend towards earth tone lines but am not staunch on that.

I haven't tried SA textured lines at all. What draws you to them?

enolaeagle 09-04-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 588337)
Thanks for the replies. I've actually been eyeing the Rio Indicator as well as the Rio Grand lines so it is great to hear some feedback on the indicator line. I tend towards earth tone lines but am not staunch on that.

I haven't tried SA textured lines at all. What draws you to them?

I have the Sharkskin Magnum on my 9w and Sharkskin Trout on my 3w. I like the high float and low memory. Lays out real nice on the water.

jaybo41 09-05-2013 01:55 PM

No experience with your rod but...

I have SA GPX and as mentioned, the low memory, high float and extra zip through the guides is very nice. I run Grand on my 905 to throw everything from nymphs to streamers. Like the GPX, it does everything well enough for me.

I also use an indicator line on my 7100 B2X for nymphing and it's ideal for double nymphs with the indicator, not what I'd call a fast rod either. I high stick with it, it's a great roll caster, the long belly is easy to mend and the mass of the head will turn over some heavier flies. Now if you're going to throw a small chicken at it, I'd opt for something else. Conversely, I'm not sure I'd like that line to throw dries with but when I need more delicate presentation, I can easily build a longer leader. I bought this same line for a 904 and did not like it as much on that rod for where I was fishing. Shameless plug, it's up for grabs if you're interested--no pressure. I've been sitting on it for a while so it's not going to break me to keep it.

My experience between the lines mentioned GPX/Grand would be more general purpose type of line that is shines across a broader spectrum of applications. The Indicator line is more of a niche, but shines for fishing situations I described. Ask yourself which you'd do more of with the line and I think that will help you hone in on your answer.

enolaeagle 09-05-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 588789)

I have SA GPX and as mentioned, the low memory, high float and extra zip through the guides is very nice. I run Grand on my 905 to throw everything from nymphs to streamers. Like the GPX, it does everything well enough for me.

I also use an indicator line on my 7100 B2X for nymphing and it's ideal for double nymphs with the indicator, not what I'd call a fast rod either. I high stick with it, it's a great roll caster, the long belly is easy to mend and the mass of the head will turn over some heavier flies. Now if you're going to throw a small chicken at it, I'd opt for something else. Conversely, I'm not sure I'd like that line to throw dries with but when I need more delicate presentation, I can easily build a longer leader. I bought this same line for a 904 and did not like it as much on that rod for where I was fishing. Shameless plug, it's up for grabs if you're interested--no pressure. I've been sitting on it for a while so it's not going to break me to keep it.

My experience between the lines mentioned GPX/Grand would be more general purpose type of line that is shines across a broader spectrum of applications. The Indicator line is more of a niche, but shines for fishing situations I described. Ask yourself which you'd do more of with the line and I think that will help you hone in on your answer.

[poke] I hate when Pittsburg guys know so much :D

You make me question my own line selection. I looked at the gold and grand... I get confused where the grand is heavier but the gold has a heavier head and notes the wide range of fly size that it's geared for.. I may have to think deeper before I pull it out of the box and spool it because I can return or exchange.

williamhj 09-05-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 588789)

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if I end up wanting the indicator line :) I'm leaning away since I am a fan of fishing dries and would prefer to have one set up for both, even if it isn't the best for dries. Currently leaning towards the Rio Grand.

jaybo41 09-05-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 588883)
Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if I end up wanting the indicator line :) I'm leaning away since I am a fan of fishing dries and would prefer to have one set up for both, even if it isn't the best for dries. Currently leaning towards the Rio Grand.

One thing about the NEW Grand line that you should keep in mind. It is now one full size overweighted and is noted as such on Rio's website.

RIO GRAND
Designed for the modern, fast-action fly rod.

The RIO Grand is a full line size heavier than the industry standard, and features more weight distributed towards the front of the line to easily load faster action fly rods. The line has a short head that is easy to cast, and is built with "MaxCast" Technology, RIO's ultra-sophisticated line coating that actively repels water for higher floatation, longer casts and greater durability. The RIO Grand is the best choice of line for the modern, fast action fly rod.

Front loaded, short head
A full line size heavier to easily load fast rod
Built with a supple, coldwater core and coating
Welded loops on both ends

RIO Grand - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

You may want to consider GPX or have a look at one of the new Airflo lines. They are very intriguing based on experience with the current Airflo lines I use. This one looks to be similar to GPX/Grand but I don't know the weight of it. Very interesting though.

Airflo Ridge Super-Dri Xceed Reel

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by enolaeagle (Post 588880)
[poke] I hate when Pittsburg guys know so much :D

You make me question my own line selection. I looked at the gold and grand... I get confused where the grand is heavier but the gold has a heavier head and notes the wide range of fly size that it's geared for.. I may have to think deeper before I pull it out of the box and spool it because I can return or exchange.

I got confused by that too if it makes you feel any better. :) Dennis explained it to me and if I remember his response, it was that Gold has a longer head, thus thus more grains and the grains Rio noted was for the entire head, not just the first 30 feet. Gold is a wonderful line for sure. The Grand I own is an OLD version, so not 1 full line size up from industry standard as the new incantation is.

williamhj 09-05-2013 08:05 PM

I saw that on their site. Thought it might help with short casts, etc since I likely won't have 30ft out the tip much with the rod. Haven't tried it though.