The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By von behr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Saltwater fly line for 6wt surf fishing

OK, I'm heading to California Big Sur at the end of this month and I was intenting to try fishing the surf for any fish that might be inclined to take a clouser.

I was suggested a full sink line or a sink tip to make sure line stays under the surf. I will be using my TFO BVK 6wt rod for this.

Since I'll only be fishing for fun for a few days at most, I was trying to find a line that won't cost 70$+ ... All the SA or Rio products seem to be in that range of price which I would'nt mind if I was going to use that line more that once this year...

Any opinions? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saltwater fly line for 6wt surf fishing

Since both price & the amount of use it might get is the primary concerns, you might try checking Ebay for something cheap. Either a tip that can be attached to what you have or a full line. Quality might be an issue with some of those lines, but for the use you intend how bad can they be?

Orvis had some lines on sale recently, but don't know what they still have on sale. Most I saw were $40 or less.

You might also check Sierra Trading Post, they often have good brands at decent prices, particularly when they have a sale.
nir likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Saltwater fly line for 6wt surf fishing

Nir,

This line will fit the bill nicely, and it's on sale for 1/2 price:

Rio Outbound Short Coldwater, WF6I/S6

-VB
nir likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply VB... I'm in Canada and leland charges 60.00$ for shipping (which is kind of insane!) so I'm gonna look if I can find that line here.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

OUCH! Maybe you can you have it shipped to your destination in California and have someone hold it for you until you arrive...just a thought.

-VB
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Check ebay for 200 grain lines.SA has a streamer express tip for $40shipped.Its not a bad line,just lost mine yesterday at the jetty.