The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM

river right is on a distinguished road
Default Rio outbound VS the versi-tip II

I just got back from a trip on the Delaware river and it was a blast fishing streamers, but I was thinking on switching the old line I have now out for one of these two. I like the idea of the versitip because I can nymph and throw a dry if the opportunity arises, but how is it for streamers? should I just go with the outbound and not bother with it? have you have any experiences with the versi-tip? thanks all in advance
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio outbound VS the versi-tip II

Quote:
Originally Posted by river right View Post
I just got back from a trip on the Delaware river and it was a blast fishing streamers, but I was thinking on switching the old line I have now out for one of these two. I like the idea of the versitip because I can nymph and throw a dry if the opportunity arises, but how is it for streamers? should I just go with the outbound and not bother with it? have you have any experiences with the versi-tip? thanks all in advance
If you are worried if a Versitip II can throw a streamer, don't worry, it can carry its respective payload.

Here's are some questions.

What are you fishing for?

Are you fishing off of a boat or walk/wading?

Dennis
Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 PM

i'll be fishing for browns mostly and i'll be walking. maybe i'll use it for steelhead when im not using my spey. by the way the rod im looking to load it with is a 10 foot 5 weight
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The beauty of the Versitip II line system is that it gives you the option to play the depth game by changing tips. It is a good call if you are going to run into different conditions. When I fish Spey, I change tips frequently.

I am making the assumption that you are looking at an integrated sinking shooting head Outbound. My biggest concern is that you are going to get yourself locked into a single sink rate. It might be too heavy or too light for the conditions that you plan on fishing. If you are confident in knowing the depth and flows that you fish, it is awesome having a dedicated line.

Dennis
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM

I was thinking that if not the vesi-tip I could get a floating outbound and just toss a short sinking leader on the end of it. that would work wouldn't it?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Keep in mind that a WF5F Outbound Short weighs 200 grains in the first 30 feet, and the WF5F Coldwater Outbound weighs 210 grains in the first 30 feet. These are nearly AFTMA 8 weight lines. Would you feel comfortable casting a line with this kind of mass on your 5 weight.

Another option is to get a head heavy line like a Scientific Anglers GPX (about a half sized overlined, take your pick of the different textures), Rio Perception (about a 1/2 size overlined), or a Rio Grand (nearly a full sized overlined). These lines will have enough mass to throw all streamers associated with a 5 weight and then some.

If you are going to use sinking leaders, keep in mind that you are going to be limited in the depth that you can effectively fish. The longest ones for single handed rods measure at the longest 10 to 12 feet. In certain conditions (very deep, high flow rates), you may need a sinking section from 15 to 30 feet in length.

Just wondering. What do the local fly fishing shops recommend for the waters that you fish?

Dennis
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM

I didn't get a chance to ask the local fly shop about streamer fishing but one of the rods he used had a sink tip line on it. I think I might just get the versi-tip the more and more I think about it the more its sounding like what I want haha or I should just buy a 4 weight switch and fish a scandi line haha (the wife would end me) haha