The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Rio Lines

I have neither records or a scale to establish this but I thought RIO Gold was true to designated size upon introduction and then, for 2013, they up'ed it a 1/4 size. Therefore, Sage ONE developed using Gold 3 to 4 years ago was designed around a true to size line. Surely, Gold and also correctly weighted SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper are the two lines I have found to match my ONE#5 most optimally (and, yes, Zenith and trout sized NRX too).

I suspect the notion that quicker rods require a heavier line stems from an oft mentioned but fallacious notion that one "feels" the rod load better through over lining. NOT. Over lining numbs the oscillation free recovery of the tip in these presentation oriented rods dulling their responsiveness. I am beginning to feel like Yoda having written this twice today; "Feel the line's movement young Luke, not the mass of the rod bending".
wannafish, mridenour and fly2field like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I used to fish either a GPX or a Grand line, but with the increase in weight for the new Grand I have switched entirely to the GPX lines.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

I haven't actually weighed the "old" Rio Gold vs. the "new" Rio Gold, but the latest iteration does feel a bit "heavier". From what I understand they "double-dipped" the tip of the line so it will float better - don't know if that added the extra grains or they just meant to make it .25X heavier.

I do like the new Rio Perception. I does present a bit stronger than the Gold, but I think it is because of it's shorter, more abrupt tip taper than the Gold. I have to be carefully when casting and fishing with the Gold not to step on the gas to much and fold the tip over into a tailing loop. I don't seem to have to be as precise with the power application with the Perception line. I also like the lack of stretch, just as I do with the Airflo lines. I think that I hook more fish, especially when using a realtively soft tipped rod.

I don't get or like the tri-color options that the Perception comes in. I appreciate and understand the Duotone concept of the Gold, but not the tri-color of the Perception. I hope that Rio give us other color options in the future.

I have never really liked the Rio Grand and don't think that it would be missed if it was discontinued. Two things that gripe me the most about this line is the very aggressive, "flop" presentation as the tip turns over, and the 1-1.5x over weighting. If you want to "over-line" a rod by a line weight, I have had much better luck using a Rio Gold or S/A Trout taper just one size bigger, than using the Grand.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

In my book, Rio Gold is still the best line out of Rio Products.
Rio will write and say anything to market the new Perception line, but I won't believe it until I can cast it side by side with a Gold.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

RIO Gold is an excellent taper design. Its key feature is the elongated head finishing in an attenuated, long rear taper. There is adequate mass up-front to load for closer shots while maintaining excellent loop stability and non-hinging in air or on water mends. Really an ideal model fly line.

The origins of this concept of taper, that I refer to as WFL-F, "L" for long, go back to Lee Wulff who designed a WF "Longbelly". When John Harder, RIO's man behind Gold, was with a different company a long time ago, he had SA make a line like this under private label called "SSS" (Salmon, Steelhead, Saltwater) but it did not have the elongated rear taper. The great line designer at SA, Bruce Richards, was the first to add the long rear taper, 25' of it!, to Mastery Expert Distance Taper and Mastery Salmon Steelhead Taper...both still excellent lines. When he retired, he allowed that he wished he had made the front taper a little longer and now (he is a consultant to Orvis, SA's newest owner) Expert Distance sport a 12' front taper borrowed from the all but identically tapered Textured Trout(Stalker). Cortland's Trout BOSS is another line in this elite taper category and Airflo too has their Ridge Distance Taper. Frankly I wish they would call these "Presentation" Tapers which is really what they are about more than anything and I think the "Distance" in some of their names is misleading marketing. As above, I also would like them to label them WFL4, 4.5, 5, 5.5F, etc.

Rest assured, when I make my rounds at Somerset in January, I will again reinforce what a good idea this is to both RIO and SA as well as my new mission to establish a line size rating system for Braided, Furled and Mono leaders.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:39 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

It is probably too simple for tackle manufacturers to label flyrods with their recommended grain weight range and flylines with their grain weights. Rio does this with their Skagits and Scandis why not their other lines?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 PM

By labeling a rod as a 5-weight and a line as a 5-weight, they are essentially stating their "recommended" grain weight as there is an official correlation between 5-weight and 140 grains. As so often discussed, lines vary up to a full size heavier than labeled (they would do the same regardless of the weight standard employed) and what is a 5-weight rod to me is a 5.75 rod to someone else. Further, weight is only one factor...the distribution of weight within the taper impacts how a given line loads a particular rod. So we have anglers owning several rods of the same line designation fishing a different line on each rod due to their varied design characteristics. No simple solution is actually available but truth in line weight labeling for the first 30' would help during line to rod match-up experimentation regardless of the code, grains, grams or oz. designation used.
coolhand and enolaeagle like this.