The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road
Default New Rio Lines

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the new version of Rio Grand is now a full line weight heavier in size. I am really scratching my head why they went from the 1/2 size heavy to a full size. In my opinion it is now a completely different line. Calling it Grand may cause some confusion to the consumer...I know it did for me.

Also, I had a chance to try the new Rio Perception. I found that it was nothing special and probably a downgrade from Rio Gold. I think the mono non stretch core is nothing but marketing hype.

For those who prefer the 1/2 heavy line on fast action, it seems Sa GPX now has the edge on Rio offerings.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Rio Lines

I spoke with rio and here's the calculations for their overage in line size:

Gold: .25 over
Perception: .5 over
Grand: 1.25 over

The perception is really nice imo. I have it on a 5w and getting ready to string it on a 6w. The 3 colors on the line is nice. The head color is just about the perfect length to keep in the water for roll casting. 2nd color is great indicator for long casting and pick ups for streamers.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I get sticker shock when I see fly lines priced at $89.95 and start to think, are they really that much better than last year's models?
waterfordcreek likes this.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
I spoke with rio and here's the calculations for their overage in line size:

Gold: .25 over
Perception: .5 over
Grand: 1.25 over

The perception is really nice imo. I have it on a 5w and getting ready to string it on a 6w. The 3 colors on the line is nice. The head color is just about the perfect length to keep in the water for roll casting. 2nd color is great indicator for long casting and pick ups for streamers.
What is the purpose of buying 6 WT line and having it be 7.25 WT line? If I need 7 WT line doesn't it make more sense to buy 7 WT line? I can understand the lines that are fractionally different but a whole weight heavier makes no sense to me at all. What am I missing here?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Because it's probably on the low end of a 7wt line. There's there is a pretty decent sized window used on how many grains are designated to a certain line weight.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I already see another thread going about the Perception line.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
What is the purpose of buying 6 WT line and having it be 7.25 WT line? If I need 7 WT line doesn't it make more sense to buy 7 WT line? I can understand the lines that are fractionally different but a whole weight heavier makes no sense to me at all. What am I missing here?
Thats my take on it as well... I can deal with quarter or half but over that brings the same question to me... why not get the nex size up?

The fly line bitnez is becoming the nex cartell
mridenour likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
I think the mono non stretch core is nothing but marketing hype.

For those who prefer the 1/2 heavy line on fast action, it seems Sa GPX now has the edge on Rio offerings.
I agree with both statements.

While not a scientific study, I can only stretch 5' of my two-year-old Rio Gold 5wt a few inches by pulling my hands apart, like a reverse chest fly (exercise, not fishing) If it stretches three inches for every five feet, I can live with that considering that it STRETCHES BACK when the line is unloaded. The spring back probably helps propel my leader, tippet, and fly beyond the fly line anyway!!

I do LOVE the tri-color system though. I don't care about distance markers. I can judge distance with my eyes and my target. That's something that can be learned from experience on the water. I just like the look of it on a reel. What I can't live with is the half-size heavier line. Rio Gold works very, very well with my Hardy Zenith rods so I'm not going to change what I'm putting on the spools.

SA GPX is a very nice line if you want the half-size extra. I think it floats much better than the Gold at the tip.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My speculation as to why they do this is to match the line with the latest incantation of Sage's rods. Being sister companies the rods are designed to be used with their rods.

It is both confusing and frustrating as a consumer. They've done the same thing with their switch lines--upped the grains and I suppose this is where I drew my conclusions from. What it's caused me to do is to look at other line manufacturers, there are other good ones out there too. Though I still very much like Gold.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I look at these lines as 3 lines suited for 3 actions of rods... .25 for a med to med-fast rod... .50 for fast action rods... And 1.25 for the popular xfast action rods... Maybe in the end creating less confusion for those that don't understand why you'd use a 7wt line on a 6wt rod.