The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Saltwater 8wt line ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Burk, Not too long after that Yucatan exploration, I was heading to Exuma with a group of friends. In my duffel was a sack full of #8 & 9 lines provided by Tom McC. with early versions of "laser" imprinted codes written on them. Each angler was provided with a questionnaire and would enter the code on the line they used and respond to a bunch of questions and I would provide a written overview. We spent two weeks field testing (eating conch salad and chasing bonefish while we "worked") those prototypes which became "Lazer Tropic Plus", a line ahead of its time.

I could not agree more with you that an optimally matched line is critical to the performance potential of any fly rod and the idea that it is OK to spend hundreds on a rod but balk at the price of quality lines boggles my mind.
I miss Tom McC for the record, although I did get to chat with him at length at the ICAST show, great guy. And his resignation was the beginning of the end for the "old" Cortland line co. The Irony is Lazer Topic Plus is still in the catalog (as Tropic Plus) and still a very good all round SW line. We basically just tweaked that design with a superior coating for the new Carp Boss.

My first choice now would be the new colored Liquid Crystal. It's hard to argue with a line that makes me look like Rajeff at the casting pond and has less than 2% stretch for hook sets. One other point, at least at Cortland we have found that our new jackets are not only producing far better performance they are also more durable. So while you may pay more, if you take care of the line it will last longer too.

One other point, I saw a Catino Bonefish traded in at a "trade up" day at Gates lodge this spring. I called Frank about that reel the next day. They were a very underrated product and in quality right in there with the Seamasters and Fin Nors of their era.