The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Saltwater 8wt line ??

so im heading down to Cancun Mexico next month for few days, and want to dedicate 1 day to Bone Fishing.

*if anyone staying in Cancun resorts has done this in the past and can recommend spots/guides on the cheap, would be great

Line question: i plan on bringing my Sage Response 8wt,
reality is whatever line i buy might get 1 day of use on this trip and after that who knows, maybe once a year in CA shore fishing?
so i dont want to drop $80

the cheapest thing i found so far is CABELAS Prestige Plus Saltwater Floating line for $40, it actually got decent reviews.
can it be used in CA shore fishing as well? is it basically all around Salt Water line? my experience with salt water fishing is ZERO so far.
anyone has any other recommendations?
thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saltwater 8wt line ??

Since you're heading to a tropical climate, I would recommend you specifically get a line rated for fishing the tropics. I recently went to the Gulf Coast of Florida, and I switched my lines to tropical fly lines. They worked perfectly. I used a Rio floating line on one reel, and an Outbound Short intermediate on the other. The Outbound cast better than the floating line, but a weight forward floating tropical line would probably be the best choice for what you're going after.

Cold water fly lines are designed to stay limp and cast well in cold conditions. In the tropics, they become too soft and lose their performance. A tropical line is made of stiffer material, which will balance out nicely in the tropical heat.

I learned this recently from others here on the forum. My trip to Florida was my first, and I'm glad I asked folks about proper lines before I went. It made a huge difference.

As far as the California coast, I wouldn't use a tropical line here. Since the current comes down from Alaska, our water stays pretty much in the 60's most of the year. A Streamer Express from Scientific Anglers is great for surf fishing around here.

Have fun in Cancun, and post pictures of your fish when you get back.

Good luck.

-VB
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are places that you may have shots at Bonefish between Isla Blanca and Isla Holbox, but you may have better shots at baby Tarpon or snook.

I do not know the guide services out of Isla Blanca, but there are some. From my understanding, they will pick you up from your hotel.

As for fly lines, you can get Sage Equator Taper lines off eBay at reduced prices. It is a great all around tropical line that can throw sparse Bonefish flies, as well as, larger baby Tarpon flies.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There are places that you may have shots at Bonefish between Isla Blanca and Isla Holbox, but you may have better shots at baby Tarpon or snook.

I do not know the guide services out of Isla Blanca, but there are some. From my understanding, they will pick you up from your hotel.

As for fly lines, you can get Sage Equator Taper lines off eBay at reduced prices. It is a great all around tropical line that can throw sparse Bonefish flies, as well as, larger baby Tarpon flies.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
great thanks for the link, $40(after shipping) for sage line seems much better then $40 for cabelas line.

any major difference between Equator vs Equator II lines?
thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

In case you are interested, you can buy some RIO saltwater lines for $55 at Chifly.com. Product List - Close Out Items - Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters | ChiFly.com

I happened to drive by their shop yesterday for the first time, couldn't resist a visit and ended up buying saltwater line for a future trip. Don't know how they compare to the Sage line, but something else to consider.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
great thanks for the link, $40(after shipping) for sage line seems much better then $40 for cabelas line.

any major difference between Equator vs Equator II lines?
thanks
The name changes can be misleading.

The mid 2000s Sage Equator lines were made by Scientific Anglers. It used Mastery Series coatings.

When Farbank Holdings purchased Rio, Sage had Rio produce the lines. It was the same taper using Rio coatings. The line was renamed Equator II Taper.

The last generation of this fly line is called the Ultimate Equator Taper. The only difference is a color change and the addition of loops.

Dennis
Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I love the Sage lines. All of my sage rods ( minus my TCXs ) have matched sage lines with them and i couldnt be happier. The equator II is some really slick stuff, its an absolute rocket on my 10wt.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

First time I fished flats in the Yucatan was in the late 1980's. I didn't know any better and there were not that many specialty bonefish lines at the time so I was rigged with nice, long belly, Cortland 444SL's. I had a fine rod, Orvis 8'9"/#8 mounted with a wonderful Catino Bonefish, machined, cork draw-bar reel. It was hot and that Cortland line behaved like an elongated gummy worm in the snake guides. Sure, I caught about a million Ascension Bay bonefish that had never seen a fly, ever. But the next time I headed for tropical flats I had invested in an SA Mastery Bonefish line and plastic over cotton garb; but that is a separate equipment category.

By all means, buy the Sage Equator line on sale. Considering the overall cost of the trip, the line is insignificant but will make a substantial difference in your tropical performance...and your one day fishing could be the start of an addiction. Don't forget your copper tint polarized shades and coral protective footwear.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
First time I fished flats in the Yucatan was in the late 1980's. I didn't know any better and there were not that many specialty bonefish lines at the time so I was rigged with nice, long belly, Cortland 444SL's. I had a fine rod, Orvis 8'9"/#8 mounted with a wonderful Catino Bonefish, machined, cork draw-bar reel. It was hot and that Cortland line behaved like an elongated gummy worm in the snake guides. Sure, I caught about a million Ascension Bay bonefish that had never seen a fly, ever. But the next time I headed for tropical flats I had invested in an SA Mastery Bonefish line and plastic over cotton garb; but that is a separate equipment category.

By all means, buy the Sage Equator line on sale. Considering the overall cost of the trip, the line is insignificant but will make a substantial difference in your tropical performance...and your one day fishing could be the start of an addiction. Don't forget your copper tint polarized shades and coral protective footwear.
I'm of the strong belief that the line may be as if not more important than the rod. A great line that is made for the presentation will make a good rod very good maybe even great. A mediocre line not made for the conditions will make a great rod very mediocre.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Burk, Not too long after that Yucatan exploration, I was heading to Exuma with a group of friends. In my duffel was a sack full of #8 & 9 lines provided by Tom McC. with early versions of "laser" imprinted codes written on them. Each angler was provided with a questionnaire and would enter the code on the line they used and respond to a bunch of questions and I would provide a written overview. We spent two weeks field testing (eating conch salad and chasing bonefish while we "worked") those prototypes which became "Lazer Tropic Plus", a line ahead of its time.

I could not agree more with you that an optimally matched line is critical to the performance potential of any fly rod and the idea that it is OK to spend hundreds on a rod but balk at the price of quality lines boggles my mind.