The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:29 AM

gdogg is on a distinguished road
Default Line wt suggestion for an old 7/8 wt graphite rod

Hi, I recently restored one of my grandfathers old south bend graphite rods. It's a 9 ft 7/8 weight rod. I'm unsure what wt of line to put on it.

I'd be using it for salmon mostly.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Line wt suggestion for an old 7/8 wt graphite rod

It would be tough to give you a good answer without more details.
Have you tried casting the rod yet and with what line on it?
do you have a fly shop near you to have them evaluate it or to possibly allow you to try different lines on it?

Sorry about answering a question with more questions but that's the best I can do with the information you've given so far.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM

gdogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
It would be tough to give you a good answer without more details.
Have you tried casting the rod yet and with what line on it?
do you have a fly shop near you to have them evaluate it or to possibly allow you to try different lines on it?

Sorry about answering a question with more questions but that's the best I can do with the information you've given so far.
I havent tried casting with it yet because i received it with a non-functioning reel set. I've since replaced the reel seat and cork.

I have a couple fly shops nearby that might let me try out some lines, thats a good idea thanks.

G
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Line wt suggestion for an old 7/8 wt graphite rod

Just about every fly shop will have basic demo lines spooled up on reels. Most of them are from Rio or Scientific Anglers. The tapers are the generic 35ish foot head length associated with many lines.

Some shops also have demo lines of retail models if you really want to get specific.

A few minutes in the parking lot casting these lines will clue you in a direction.

Good luck with your search.

Dennis
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

Back in the old days fiberglass fly rods that were rated for two line weights normally meant double taper/weight forward. Double taper for dry flies and weight forward for streamers. Back in 1991 I bought a Sage DS2 that was rated 6/7. When I asked the guy in the fly shop why two line ratings he told me it was actually rated as a 6wt but for someone starting out fly fishing a 7 wt might help in feeling the rod load. For years I fished a 6 wf line on that rod and never looked back.

As already been suggested, if you have a fly shop close by try both a 7 & 8 wt line and see which one you like.

Dave